Go Back   Kaijuphile Forum Archives -- Closed For Posting > Kaiju Merchandise > Kaiju Games

Favorite Kaiju game...
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Kaiju Forum Initiate

MrKaiju has no warnings.
Question Favorite Kaiju game...

For a long time was "King of The Monsters" - but basically, I'm just looking for a good one that's out now - maybe a japanese port or something? Any ideas?

Re: Favorite Kaiju game...
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Sunstone Games Delegate

Bambooshoots has no warnings.
Default Re: Favorite Kaiju game...

Well, as a delegate I feel I'm required to suggest Colossal Kaiju Combat, due out fairly soonish for PC... I'd also recommend the Pipeworks Godzilla trilogy, but I know not everyone enjoys them as I do... Godzilla: Save the Earth for PS2/Xbox is widely considered the best, while Godzilla: Unleashed for Wii is widely considered the "least best" from what I can tell.

Those are all I can recommend from experience, sadly. Hope you find one you like!

Last edited by Bambooshoots; August 20th, 2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention some stuff about the trilogy

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Saruman is heading in the right direction.

The best Kaiju game by far is the PS2 title "War of the Monsters", a HD version is also available for the PS3 now. It's not only one of the best Kaiju games ever made, it's also one of the best fighting games ever made. If you haven't checked it out, do your self a favor and get it, you will not be disappointed.

"I know you miss the Wainwrights, Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people- and that's why we have wolves and other large predators." -Gary Larson

Old August 21st, 2013, 12:10 AM
A Sound Soul...

Orga777 is an asset to our forums.
Send a message via Skype™ to Orga777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saruman View Post
The best Kaiju game by far is the PS2 title "War of the Monsters", a HD version is also available for the PS3 now. It's not only one of the best Kaiju games ever made, it's also one of the best fighting games ever made. If you haven't checked it out, do your self a favor and get it, you will not be disappointed.
Ehhhhhh. I just couldn't get into it when I played it back in the day. :/

I probably have to go with Rampage World Tour for the N64. That game was the first where it actually felt like I was playing an actual giant monster. Not only that, the levels were fun and old arcade smash-ups never get old. XD

Old August 21st, 2013, 01:05 AM
Desumacchi Rules Commissioner

Sidian Lazarus is a jewel in the rough.

Quote:

i would have to SERIOUSLY agree here. the game has stood the test of time and not only features fantastic gameplay and a wide variety of kaiju to choose from but really does a fantastic job of paying homage to the genre as a whole.

Some other mentions are Godzilla Unleashed for the PS2/WII (and of course its predecessors Godzilla:Save the Earth and Godzilla DESTROY all monsters Melee), King of the Monsters (a kaiju fighting game), King of the Monsters 2 (now a side scrolling beat em up but very fun).

However I cannot leave out Godzilla:Monster of Monsters for the NES. Its a great side scrolling action game where you can play as both Godzilla AND Mothra against an all star cast of kaiju enemies...it was this game that first taught me about a whopping number of kaiju when i was 4 years old INCLUDING, gezora, moguera, baragon, varan, and even hedorah. I wouldnt understand where these kaiju came from for a few years as this was long before the internet. Not to mention the AMAZING chiptune soundtrack i mean this was NES music at its BEST rivaled in my mind only by such gems as mario and megaman 2. seriously they are that good. sure sometimes the bosses could glitch and basically pin you helpless but its a minor flaw in an otherwise fantastic game. Even the graphics are awesome for NES, with every monster looking their part. I cant say enough about this game...

however the hall of shame...avoid these unless your hardcore into collecting like myself...

super godzilla - confusing rpg/fighting game hybrid thats no where near as awesome as i just made it sound. only reason to pick this game up is to see bagan and cry.

Godzilla 2 (nes) - as great as the first one was they turn the second one into an RTS game where you play as the army with terrible graphics/music...such a disappointment

Ultraman (SNES) this game is BAD....bad....so bad....

Please check out my articles and tons of others over at Skreeonk.com!

Old August 21st, 2013, 02:17 AM
Super Kaiju Forum Master

DinoGeekProductions has no warnings.

While not a Kaiju game, if you have a PC with a broadband connection and are willing to pay all of fifteen bucks on steam, then Primal Carnage is an excellent dinosaur vs. people game without NPCs. Yes, the Dino side is playable, and they handle so much better than Dino Clash, Dino D-Day, Orion: Dino Beatdown or any other Dino game you can think of.

If you've got a WiiU, Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate is there, as well as Tank! Tank! Tank!

PS3 or Xbox 360? Might I suggest Dragon's Dogma or Skyrim. These fantasy titles are both heavy in colossal critters, and the "Legendary Edition" of Skyrim includes the "Dragonborn" DLC, allowing you to command and ride a dragon. Lair is all around pretty bad, but alright if you just want the experience of being a dragon ripping through a crowd of armed warriors.

The Lost Planet series also delivers on Mecha vs. giant alien insect action, as does Earth Defense Force.

Last edited by DinoGeekProductions; August 21st, 2013 at 02:26 AM.

Old August 21st, 2013, 10:08 AM
A Sound Soul...

Orga777 is an asset to our forums.
Send a message via Skype™ to Orga777

I don't know how anyone can like Godzilla: Unleashed. The game is completely broken and borderline unplayable. It is a failure of game design and is a rushed mess.

Old August 21st, 2013, 02:13 PM
Sunstone Games Delegate

Bambooshoots has no warnings.

Quote:
I always forget WotM! WHY!? I own it even...
Hands down go with WotM.
Quote:
I don't know how anyone can like Godzilla: Unleashed. The game is completely broken and borderline unplayable. It is a failure of game design and is a rushed mess.
I have no idea either... I enjoy it, but I have no clue why... "There's more kaiju." is the only one I can think of...

Old August 21st, 2013, 02:51 PM
Super Kaiju Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooshoots View Post
I always forget WotM! WHY!? I own it even...
Hands down go with WotM.
I have no idea either... I enjoy it, but I have no clue why... "There's more kaiju." is the only one I can think of...
War of the Monsters is definitely over do for a sequel. Hmm... War of the Monsters vs. Primal Rage, anybody?

As for Unleashed, well, some people enjoy touching a hot stove. I've known people who've liked Legendary, too.

Old August 21st, 2013, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Saruman is heading in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoGeekProductions View Post
War of the Monsters is definitely over do for a sequel.
Totally agree, can't believe that it hasn't gotten one yet.

Quote:
Hmm... War of the Monsters vs. Primal Rage, anybody?
I think I would rather have them stick to their own universe and develop the stories on their monsters more.

Quote:
As for Unleashed, well, some people enjoy touching a hot stove. I've known people who've liked Legendary, too.
I have Legendary, I don't consider it a great game but it's not really aweful either, just run of he mill stuff and very far from being a Legendary title.

"I know you miss the Wainwrights, Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people- and that's why we have wolves and other large predators." -Gary Larson

Old August 21st, 2013, 05:40 PM
Super Kaiju Forum Master

Yeah, I've been noticing consumer and, hell, even professional reviews of games aren't very helpful. Gamers, in my experience at least, tend to treat everything that's not game of the year material as garbage. Heck, I'll probably pick up Legendary one of these days just because, you know? How many FPS let me fight griffins and werewolves?