Go Back   Kaijuphile Forum Archives -- Closed For Posting > Kaiju Discussion > Toho & Godzilla: Showa

View Poll Results: Favorite Godzilla Film in the Showa Series?
Gojira/Godzilla (1954) 16 31.37%
Godzilla Raids Again (1955) 1 1.96%
King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) 4 7.84%
Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964) 8 15.69%
Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster (1964) 2 3.92%
Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965) 3 5.88%
Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (1966) 0 0%
Son of Godzilla (1967) 0 0%
Destroy All Monsters (1968) 1 1.96%
Godzilla's Revenge (1969) 2 3.92%
Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971) 3 5.88%
Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972) 1 1.96%
Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973) 2 3.92%
Godzilla vs, Mechagodzilla (1974) 5 9.80%
Terror of MEchagodzilla (1975) 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Favorite Showa Godzilla Film
Old February 4th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Grand Kaiju Forum King

Cole Deschain is heading in the right direction.
Send a message via AIM to Cole Deschain
Default Re: Favorite Showa Godzilla Film

Including the original isn't even FAIR.

It's one of the only Kaiju films that non-kaiju fans defend as art. No contest. Gojira.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Old March 7th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Desumacchi Rules Commissioner

kent is heading in the right direction.

I think some people have confused "favorite" with "best."

Invasion of Astro-Monster gets my vote for favorite.

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Grand Kaiju Forum King

Cole Deschain is heading in the right direction.
Send a message via AIM to Cole Deschain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent View Post
I think some people have confused "favorite" with "best."
Can't speak for anyone else, but this is a rare case of the two categories overlapping for me. But then again, I tend to prefer the movies with fewer monsters in 'em.

I enjoy a lot of Showa (and Heisei) cheese, but of the Showa films, Gojira is about the only one off of this list I'll drop what I'm doing to watch. Now, if Rodan or Mothra had been on here, you might have seen some indecision out of me...
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Old June 6th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Ultra Kaiju Master

rodanguirus is heading in the right direction.

Like 2012 Cole said, it's not fair to include Gojira with the others. A masterpiece in its own right. Nothing else in the genre measures up.

After that, I have to give it to either:

Mothra vs. Godzilla

I feel like this is THE kaiju film. It represents the genre more completely than any other single film out there.

or

Ghidrah

The Avengers of kaiju films. Rodan and Godzilla look a little goofy, and the larva has looked better, but all of the kaiju's personalities are wonderfully represented here. Ghidorah's at his very best, from the mystery and buildup, to his appearance, to his rampage, to his strong showing in combat. And as a special bonus, we get some actual acknowledgment of the events of previous films!

Old June 17th, 2013, 04:44 PM

Location: The land beyond beyond, past the world of hope and fear
The Great MM is heading in the right direction.
Send a message via AIM to The Great MM

I voted G's Revenge. Simply because it's listed on the poll. But for personal enjoyment, Godzilla vs. Gigan and Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla. I can't get enough of either of those film. For a "best made", it'd have to go to either Mothra vs. Godzilla vs. GTTHM.

Old July 21st, 2013, 05:14 PM
Kaiju Forum Initiate

GizmoTheStomper89 has no warnings.

I hate to say it but the Showa series is my least favorite on the pure entertainment scale. A lot of the films have boring or drawn out human stories that I can't stand to watch. Even the original Gojira is rather bland at times. It's still a very well made film, but it drags during the middle. Go ahead of crucify me, but it's how I feel.

Mothra vs. Godzilla is my favorite of the era followed by Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla, King Kong Vs. Godzilla and Son of Godzilla.

Mothra Vs. Godzilla has the best and most entertaining human story imo. Son and Kong are just goofy as hell B-Movie blasts. Mechagodzilla is second place for best human story of the era.

Old July 25th, 2013, 03:19 AM
Hyper Kaiju Forum Master

Orc0909 has no warnings.

I think I might go with Godzilla Raids Again for one reason. The part where Kobayashi dies is so sad, and it happens right after his sub-plot really plays out. It's really kind of a dumb reason, because honestly I didn't really get what was happening until after he started asking what's-her-face what kind of girly thing he should get her, but that part followed by him dying, and simultaneously creating the eureka moment to trap Godzilla, just got to me.

There are other good things and bad things about it. The scene with the criminals was just really random, even though it lead to the main event, and it dragged on a bit and caused me to take a short break from the movie. But the actual fighting between Ang and Goji was just brutal and pretty cool. I also liked that they made references to the first movie, which is something that kind of bothered me when I watched Mothra vs Godzilla and Ghidorah the Three Headed monster, which both had the same actors in near identical roles but no continuity whatsoever.

There may be more movies that might entertain me much better overall, but because GRA really surprised me, I'm going to vote for it.

Old July 28th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Desumacchi Rules Commissioner

Sidian Lazarus is a jewel in the rough.

Such a hard question really. So many great ones to choose from...

My first instinct is to say Godzilla vs Megalon, the first Godzilla movie i ever saw. buuutt....

then i think about Godzilla vs Mothra and what an absolute classic that movie is. I feel even now this film might be underrated a bit.

However i find myself reaching for Godzilla vs Hedorah more and more...something about that movie still strikes a cord with me im not sure why.

god so many to choose from! honestly im not sure i can really pick...

Please check out my articles and tons of others over at Skreeonk.com!

Old August 7th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Kaiju Forum Novice

Draconic Phoenix Rodan has no warnings.

I went with Godzilla vs Monster Zero. It wasn't my first Godzilla movie, but it was the movie that really solidified my interest in the fandom when I was a kid.