Go Back   Kaijuphile Forum Archives -- Closed For Posting > Kaijuphile Koliseum > Kaiju Kumite Test Play

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Varan 2 33.33%
Leaning Varan 2 33.33%
Abstain 2 33.33%
Viras 0 0%
Leaning Viras 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

03. Varan vs. Viras
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Made of People

Seer is an example of a great member.
Send a message via AIM to Seer Send a message via MSN to Seer
Default 03. Varan vs. Viras

Varan
vs.
Viras
---
Battlefield: Kyoto

Re: 03. Varan vs. Viras
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:53 AM
A Sound Soul...

Orga777 is an asset to our forums.
Send a message via Skype™ to Orga777
Default Re: 03. Varan vs. Viras

This is probably the best match of the second round. It all comes down to whether Varan can get close to Viras before he gets impaled. Neither of these guys are particularly fast. Both are pretty slow, so it all depends on who does what and when. Varan is pretty fast when he flies, though, so that could come into play here. Right now leaning Varan just due to that flight potential.

Last edited by Orga777; August 16th, 2013 at 10:10 AM.

Old August 16th, 2013, 01:36 PM
He of many name changes

Burkion is an asset to our forums.

What can Varan do to put down Viras, I wonder. I'm honestly curious.

SCHUWATCH

Old August 16th, 2013, 02:07 PM
A Sound Soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkion View Post
What can Varan do to put down Viras, I wonder. I'm honestly curious.
Viras is not a reliably durable kaiju. Varan's claws rip apart rock pretty damn easily. Also, if he gets close, I have trouble thinking the tentacles will be enough to stop the assault. Though, I guess it could. It all depends on how fast Varan is on the attack.

Old August 16th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Guess My Avatar!!!

Husnock is heading in the right direction.

This fight is gonna warrant some popcorn.

(Assuming I don't go all "old geezer," fall asleep at 9:30pm, and miss the damn Fight Club again.)
He's been everything from a mutant, a force of nature, to f'n possessed by dead spirits. So telling me that Godzilla "doesn't act like Godzilla" is a laugh. Godzilla hasn't acted like Godzilla since 1954.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orc0909
There's no way you can tell me that Kong and his normal fighting skills couldn't compete with early Showa Godzilla. A monster who often resorted to kicking rocks as a primary strategy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkion on Dracula 3000
I just don't think [MM]'s enjoyed such fine cinema as godIcan'tevenfinishthat.

Old August 16th, 2013, 08:49 PM

Location: The land beyond beyond, past the world of hope and fear
The Great MM is heading in the right direction.
Send a message via AIM to The Great MM

Go Varan! The only thing Viras can do to stop him is that impale trick, and the flying squirell lizard will rip him to shreds long before he decides to try it.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:07 PM
Kaiju Forum Adept

Borodan has no warnings.

Varan's speed is pitiful, comparable to that of the much-lambasted Gappa. (Watch his first encounter with the military or his approach of Haneda Airport.) While his gliding speed is decent, he never used it in a combat situation - not even when attacked from the air. Strength-wise, he didn't "rip apart rocks" so much as he shoved through the sides of a couple of small hills.

I wasn't impressed by the "special gunpowder" either. The explosions it caused were more smoke than substance, and the way each staggered Varan doesn't say much for his durability. And as for the claim that it's twenty times more powerful than dynamite... well, remember what Colonel Kuroki said about the Super X-2's Fire Mirror.

Viras, meanwhile, threw Gamera around with ease, and brings his deadly spear-head into play quite often. The first two attempts were foiled by Gamera dodging, then throwing a rock - tactics Varan never displayed. After hitting home with his third strike, causing a gaping wound, Viras proceeded to drive Gamera into a hillside and stab him repeatedly. Varan doesn't have a prayer against an attack like that. Sure, it may take a few tries for Viras to land a solid blow, but Varan is too slow and his strength too unproven to do much in the meantime.

Winner: Viras
Loser: Varan

Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:36 PM
A Sound Soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodan View Post
Varan's speed is pitiful, comparable to that of the much-lambasted Gappa. (Watch his first encounter with the military or his approach of Haneda Airport.) While his gliding speed is decent, he never used it in a combat situation - not even when attacked from the air. Strength-wise, he didn't "rip apart rocks" so much as he shoved through the sides of a couple of small hills.

I wasn't impressed by the "special gunpowder" either. The explosions it caused were more smoke than substance, and the way each staggered Varan doesn't say much for his durability. And as for the claim that it's twenty times more powerful than dynamite... well, remember what Colonel Kuroki said about the Super X-2's Fire Mirror.
Collapsing entire mountainsides is impressive no matter what. Also, the explosion from the bombs that were used outside on Varan was large enough to completely cover him. And it was definitely more than just smoke. Just hard to tell because of limitations and it being in black and white. Saying there is not much substance there is like saying there is no substance in the Heisei Era due to sparks. :/ It also took two of them in his stomach to kill him officially, so. Yeah.

Also, while it was closer to hills, it is still rather impressive to easily tear into them as well as he did. Especially since he is not a burrower. I do agree that he is pretty damn slow, though.

Quote:
Viras, meanwhile, threw Gamera around with ease, and brings his deadly spear-head into play quite often. The first two attempts were foiled by Gamera dodging, then throwing a rock - tactics Varan never displayed. After hitting home with his third strike, causing a gaping wound, Viras proceeded to drive Gamera into a hillside and stab him repeatedly. Varan doesn't have a prayer against an attack like that. Sure, it may take a few tries for Viras to land a solid blow, but Varan is too slow and his strength too unproven to do much in the meantime.
Which is why it comes down to who hits first. Neither are particularly fast. I just give Varan a better edge up close.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:44 PM
Kaiju Forum Adept

Borodan has no warnings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orga777 View Post
Collapsing entire mountainsides is impressive no matter what.
Except that we don't know how much of the explosive was used.

Quote:
Also, the explosion from the bombs that were used outside on Varan was large enough to completely cover him. And it was definitely more than just smoke. Just hard to tell because of limitations and it being in black and white.
Flash powder gives off a great deal of smoke as well, but that doesn't make it an especially powerful explosive.

Quote:
Saying there is not much substance there is like saying there is no substance in the Heisei Era due to sparks. :/
Apples and oranges. Heisei beams are basically lasers (albeit slower).

Quote:
It also took two of them in his stomach to kill him officially, so. Yeah.
I thought the first one was in his mouth, since the parachute was still visible.

But you've admitted that Viras's spear-head is dangerous to Varan, so this is all kind of moot.

Quote:
Also, while it was closer to hills, it is still rather impressive to easily tear into them as well as he did. Especially since he is not a burrower. I do agree that he is pretty damn slow, though.
Gamera performed a more impressive hill-smashing feat when he appeared for the first time in Gamera vs. Gyaos, yet his claws never caused Viras any damage.

Quote:
Which is why it comes down to who hits first. Neither are particularly fast. I just give Varan a better edge up close.
Viras may not be fleet-footed, but he's an incredible jumper - and he uses that ability far more often than Varan glides. And while I think that Viras won't be winning without the spear-head, he's hardly helpless in melee range. Those tentacles threw Gamera far, and if they're used against Varan in the same way, the space squid will have plenty of time to go for the spear.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 05:18 PM
A Sound Soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodan View Post
Except that we don't know how much of the explosive was used.
We saw that they had maybe two or three sticks of it in their hands when they showed that. Even if it was more it HAD to be at least as much as each bomb used on Varan.

Quote:
Flash powder gives off a great deal of smoke as well, but that doesn't make it an especially powerful explosive.
Except this has to be a potent explosive since it collapses whole mountainsides.

Quote:
I thought the first one was in his mouth, since the parachute was still visible.
No. It happened in the gut. The parachute was just stuck in his teeth.

Quote:
Gamera performed a more impressive hill-smashing feat when he appeared for the first time in Gamera vs. Gyaos, yet his claws never caused Viras any damage.
He did not really fight Viras that well though.

Quote:
Viras may not be fleet-footed, but he's an incredible jumper - and he uses that ability far more often than Varan glides. And while I think that Viras won't be winning without the spear-head, he's hardly helpless in melee range. Those tentacles threw Gamera far, and if they're used against Varan in the same way, the space squid will have plenty of time to go for the spear.
It all comes down to who does what first still. Personally, Gamera is pretty incompetent up close. I don't see why Varan would be worse.