Go Back   Kaijuphile Forum Archives -- Closed For Posting > Kaiju Discussion > Toho General Discussion

Re: What's worse? Godzilla's Revenge or godzilla(1998)?
Old August 3rd, 2013, 11:13 PM
Desumacchi Rules Commissioner

Sidian Lazarus is a jewel in the rough.
Default Re: What's worse? Godzilla's Revenge or godzilla(1998)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orc0909 View Post
Yah. The other day I was thinking about it and I told someone "You know, if you think about it, there are a lot of In Name Only kaiju in GFW."

So yah. Those are my thoughts. It's a shame too, because I like most of the designs. (And all of the concept art)
what monsters would you say are in name only? i think they all got appropriate updates, now that doesnt mean the film is great i found MANY MANY problems with it personally but the monster designs were not among them...not sure anyone really hated the monster designs and i dont find myself saying any of them dont look like who they are. i think your exaggerating the differences a bit there.

that being said GFW was a major let down...i admit the first time i saw it i was so excited for it that i overlooked more than i should have. other than Don Frye the entire human cast could go to hell for all i care, the minilla sublot sucked, and the monsters got almost no screen time. not to mention we left out great kaiju opportunities such as varan, megalon, titanosaurus, gabara (yeah i said it..love the oni idea), biollante, space godzilla and more and got stuck with kamacuras, kumonga and ebirah. lame.

Please check out my articles and tons of others over at Skreeonk.com!

Old August 5th, 2013, 05:25 AM
Neo Kaiju Forum Master

CII is heading in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigra View Post
I, for one, won't begrudge you for that opinion. There aren't enough words in the English language to describe how much I despise GFW >.<
Thank you. Thank you so much.

We need to start a club. I actually went back after like 4 years of not seeing GFW. I went back, watched it just to see if it'll sit better after I've been apart from the whole kaiju fandom–NOPE! Didn't. I still hated the damned thing. Then I went back and sat through Godzilla's Revenge. Yeah, GFW is still worse. And it qualifies as a movie. And it's still horrid. The clip show did better than the actual movie.

GFW was not the bookend that the Shensei series needed to end on.

I actually did like the designs. Except for Godzilla's. I mean people complain on the Kiryu-Goji suit. I liked the Kiryu-Goji suit. Which is why I use it for my Kiryuu saga for Kiryuu Knight's son Goji Jr. It's the perfect design for him. Youthful, but powerful.

Godzilla Final Wars design for Godzilla, blech! First complaint, made him too anthro.

I'll even take the Revenge suit over the GFW suit.

Hell, the Godzilla Final Wars GINO was an insult to the real GINO. Or hell, even GINO Jr. aka Cartoon GINO who could pretty much kick every one of those monster's asses and then some!

Last edited by CII; August 5th, 2013 at 05:33 AM.

Old August 6th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Kaiju Forum Novice

the Godzilla Guru has no warnings.

The only things that bothered me about the GFW was its over-dependence on other films and the M-Force uniforms looking like Nazi uniforms (little disturbed by that). I was okay with the monster designs, but I'd watch that before watching Godzilla's Revenge (the over use of stock footage is why I have a hard time watching Godzilla vs Gigan and Godzilla vs Megalon). In response to CII, Kiryu-Goji is my favorite Godzilla design, too.

Old August 7th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Desumacchi Rules Commissioner

Sidian Lazarus is a jewel in the rough.

GFW had some cool moments and some really sweet monster designs. they could have had the mutant angle without going with the whole super saiyan xmen approach...Love captain gordon but other than that we needed more monster action.

other than that it was disappointing but not unwatchable.

Please check out my articles and tons of others over at Skreeonk.com!

Old August 9th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Hyper Kaiju Forum Master

THE ONE AND ONLY is heading in the right direction.

The following advert for Sprite probably shows how the suits at Tri-Star planned out their attempt with Devlin and Emmerich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTRt1p5l22A

Old August 20th, 2013, 02:11 AM
Kaiju Forum Master

Location: Planet X *wves fingers like the weirdos form the movie...who were really cheezy!*
KingKaiju has no warnings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ONE AND ONLY View Post
The following advert for Sprite probably shows how the suits at Tri-Star planned out their attempt with Devlin and Emmerich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTRt1p5l22A
HOOOLY CRAP!!!! I REMEMBER THIS COMMERCIAL!!!! I remember being real into it as a little kid because it had something to do with a giant monster, even though it sounded terrible, and now that I'm no longer 7 years old I understand the point of it hahahahaha.