Go Back   Kaijuphile Forum Archives -- Closed For Posting > Kaiju Discussion > Toho & Godzilla: Heisei

Godzilla vs Biollante: WTF!?
Old July 30th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Kaiju Forum Novice

GodzillaMan has no warnings.
Default Godzilla vs Biollante: WTF!?

I just got done watching Godzilla vs Biollante for the very first time. All I can say is "WTF?". Is Biollante a true monster or is it just that guy's daughter? In one scene they explicitly state the fact that Biollante is a monster, and that the guy's daughter is not controlling it. They say Biollante is only a cross between the rose and Godzilla, which is why it exhibited destructive behavior. THEN, after the final battle, they, on the contrary, say that Biollante really is controlled by his daughter. WHAT THE ACTUAL ****!?!?!?

Re: Godzilla vs Biollante: WTF!?
Old July 30th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Kaiju Fight Club Member

Mindfreak is heading in the right direction.
Default Re: Godzilla vs Biollante: WTF!?

Even disregarding the giant Rose/Godzilla/Daughter Hybrid Monster, Biollante was a weird film in general, man. Bunch of random foreigners, scenes in the Middle East, weird subplots, that one KISS looking dude who popped up on the TV for like a minute...just generally full of strangeness.

[/center]

Old July 30th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Hobo with a shotgun

BS Digital Q is heading in the right direction.
Send a message via AIM to BS Digital Q Send a message via Skype™ to BS Digital Q

Godzilla vs. Biollante is by and large not a terribly good film. But the concepts presented in it are hardly what makes it bad. Hell, stuff like that is what keeps it from being a truly bad film. At least it is interesting at a conceptual level and unique, despite the lackluster execution.

Thats about all that really needs to be said. Anything further (as indicated by your past rants on this film) delve into pedantics and misogyny.

Old July 31st, 2013, 12:15 AM
A Sound Soul...

Orga777 is an asset to our forums.
Send a message via Skype™ to Orga777

Biollante is a weird fusion of human, Godzilla, and rose cells.... I don't know how, but, whatever, Toho Science.

The movie is okay by in large. It just isn't as great as people claim it is... Still a Top 10 Godzilla film when it comes to quality, but I would not put it past 8.

Old July 31st, 2013, 12:17 AM
Desumacchi Rules Commissioner

Sidian Lazarus is a jewel in the rough.

Its a confusing film and deals with some pretty heavy concepts for a Godzilla film. To this day it remains my favorite Godzilla film ever and a lot of it is because it chooses to dive into those deep sort of feelings and concepts. In my opinion its the most poetic in the series. I think at first Erica's presence was simply repressed by the stronger "godzilla side" however in the end when the latter was weakened Erica was able to gain a foothold that Miki Saegusa could sense. Or maybe not. theres probably a hundred different ways to interpret it.

Movie has some great music, some great tension leading up to godzilla's release, IMO the best Godzilla design ever, and one of the coolest kaiju hes ever faced. LOOOOVE it.

Please check out my articles and tons of others over at Skreeonk.com!

Old July 31st, 2013, 12:18 AM
Super Kaiju Forum Master

DinoGeekProductions has no warnings.

Well, man, this was the beginning of the Heisei series. Chalk it up to early installmenf weirdness.

Old July 31st, 2013, 05:04 AM
Rubber Space Shark

Zigra is a jewel in the rough.
Send a message via Yahoo to Zigra

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodzillaMan View Post
I just got done watching Godzilla vs Biollante for the very first time. All I can say is "WTF?". Is Biollante a true monster or is it just that guy's daughter? In one scene they explicitly state the fact that Biollante is a monster, and that the guy's daughter is not controlling it. They say Biollante is only a cross between the rose and Godzilla, which is why it exhibited destructive behavior. THEN, after the final battle, they, on the contrary, say that Biollante really is controlled by his daughter. WHAT THE ACTUAL ****!?!?!?
Did you watch the English dub or the original Japanese version? From what I remember the whole "Erica is not in control" was not in the Japanese version, though I don't remember what they actually said in that scene.

"I hope drivers in the United Kingdom also have good aim."- Me on Brian Lumely

"You can't ruin a turd. Nor can you polish one."- Cole Deschain on Clor

McCarthy's Maxim- A football coach must be smart enough to understand the game, but dumb enough to think it's important.

Old July 31st, 2013, 08:56 AM
Kaiju Forum Novice

So Biollante really is just a half human, daddy protecting plant after all. I got all excited last night when they said Biollante had no human spirit, but now I guess I got ****ed in the *** again. Unless the movie allows for a multitude of interpretations, Biollante sucks once again.

Or I have a theory. What if that girl never really was in control of Biollante? Biollante is its own entity; its own monster. Her spirit was simply trapped inside, nothing more. Thus, Biollante is only a fusion of Godzilla and rose, as they stated in the film.

Old July 31st, 2013, 09:13 AM
Rubber Space Shark

Zigra is a jewel in the rough.
Send a message via Yahoo to Zigra

Quote:
So Biollante really is just a half human, daddy protecting plant after all.
My impression was that she was protecting all of Japan, not just her father. If you want to look at it optimistically, you could say that Biollante is kinda like the inverse of GMK Godzilla. Where GMK Goji contains human spirits who are out to destroy Japan, Biollante contains a human spirit who is out to protect it (though why she has remained absent when other monsters have appeared is never touched down on).

Quote:
Or I have a theory. What if that girl never really was in control of Biollante? Biollante is its own entity; its own monster. Her spirit was simply trapped inside, nothing more. Thus, Biollante is only a fusion of Godzilla and rose, as they stated in the film.
Not a bad theory. I remember TohoKingdom saying something similar in their Biollante profile. Though, I don't know if there is anything in the movie to prove it one way or another.

"I hope drivers in the United Kingdom also have good aim."- Me on Brian Lumely

"You can't ruin a turd. Nor can you polish one."- Cole Deschain on Clor

McCarthy's Maxim- A football coach must be smart enough to understand the game, but dumb enough to think it's important.

Old July 31st, 2013, 12:07 PM
Kaiju Forum Novice

Quote:
Not a bad theory. I remember TohoKingdom saying something similar in their Biollante profile. Though, I don't know if there is anything in the movie to prove it one way or another.
There is zero proof that Biollante was truly under the control of the spirit. They never mentioned that in the movie, they only said something similar to the fact that she was merely trapped inside, not really controlling it.

Old July 31st, 2013, 09:50 PM
Kaiju Forum Novice

the Godzilla Guru has no warnings.

I originally thought that Erica was originally in control of Biollante during her first battle with Godzilla, but when she fought Godzilla the second time it was the Godzilla part that was in control; following the battle her spirit separated from Biollante and that was the end of Erica. That's just my thoughts on it since the film does leave a lot to interpretation.

Old July 31st, 2013, 11:41 PM
Desumacchi Rules Commissioner

Sidian Lazarus is a jewel in the rough.

In my mind i always preferred to think that Biollante was its own monster and that Erica's spirit was kinda just trapped somewhere in the middle. Again at first suppressed but then at the end when you see her image it was like her finally being released.

Don't know of anything that would prove or disprove that but it works for me.

Please check out my articles and tons of others over at Skreeonk.com!

Old August 8th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Saruman is heading in the right direction.

Quote:
There is zero proof that Biollante was truly under the control of the spirit. They never mentioned that in the movie, they only said something similar to the fact that she was merely trapped inside, not really controlling it.
There is actually plenty of supporting evidence in the film for this. If Erica was not in control, then why would Biollante try to protect Erica's fathers lab from the 3 guys that break in? Why would Biollante destroy only the very end of the dock just beyond where her father was standing? It's rather simple, it's because Erica was in control. If she wasn't then those two scenes are completely pointless to the rest of the film. It also makes Miki's presence completely pointless if Erica wasn't in control.

It's also important to note the differences between the Rose Form and the Final form of Biollante.

Rose form could have attacked and killed many people at the lakes edge. Could have destroyed Erica's fathers lab. But did neither of those things because Erica was in control.

Final form Biollante was the Godzilla side in control. When she appeared she had no care for the humans present, you can see that by her destroying a bunch of tanks and buildings. All she wanted to do was fight Godzilla and if you got in her way, to bad. She was very aggressive, much more so than the Rose form was.

"I know you miss the Wainwrights, Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people- and that's why we have wolves and other large predators." -Gary Larson