When Aliens Attack!
  #1  
Old July 23rd, 2013, 09:46 PM
Mecha74's Avatar
Mecha74 Mecha74 is offline
Servant & Purveyor of the Gudis Gospel
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,063
Mecha74 is an example of a great member.
Default When Aliens Attack!

With the increase in activity lately I thought I might stoke the old fire on this tale. Sure, this dead horse has been beaten to the point of being a greasy stain upon the floor, but since me and my friends labored on this for 5 long years and KP is the first true home of WAA where it was first created(with special thanks to Raptor in that regard)I figured what the Hell! I deserve to be indulged a little, especially since the actual When Aliens Attack forum has now been relegated to the archives and is no longer publically accessible.

For those whose memories may need refreshed, or for new members or lurkers who may be unfamilar...

Me and some friends from both the kaijuphile and kaijugalaxy forums spent a timespan from July of 2005 to 2010 working on a massive several hundred page fan fiction novel called ‘When Aliens Attack!’ which takes on the following idea…

The premise is this, what if one of the various alien races that plague the Godzilla universe finally succeeded in taking Godzilla out once and for all? Our story addresses this directly as well as the repercussions as various alien races come out of the wood work to lay claim to the Earth and to avenge previous defeats. Also, once word spreads that the mighty king of the monsters has at last fallen, it further spurns the various invaders into action. The Nebulans(the cockroach aliens from Godzilla vs. Gigan)are responsible for Godzilla's defeat with the help of Ghidorah and Gigan, but other races including the Kilaaks(Destroy All Monsters), the Simeons(the Planet of the Apes rejects from Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla), the Planet X Xians(Monster Zero), the Mysterians(from the film of the same name), the Virans(from the Gamera film Destroy All Planets)and last but not least, the Gudis(from the series Ultraman Towards The Future)all want the Earth for themselves now.

With all these respective races come vast amounts of alien weaponry and more monsters than you can shake a stick at. In the meantime the undersea kingdoms of Mu(Atragon)and Seatopia(Godzilla vs Megalon) initiate a reunification with the surface world and the human race to help defend the Earth from the alien invaders, but all is not as it seems on both sides of the fence. Secret alliances are forged and treachery abounds all over. We combine characters and kaiju from the Showa era(1954-75), the Heisei era(1984-95) and the Millennium films as well. But our story as a whole is deeply steeped and rooted in the Showa era more than anything else. As a result of this sort of...combining, for lack of a better term, certain events in kaiju history have been either altered slightly, changed completely or totally removed depending, but some things have remained exactly the same.

For this story we have decided to explore and expand on these various aliens which in the films they originally appeared in had little or no character development to speak of. We take a deep look into their political, military and personal lives as we examine the machinations that drive these races to conquer and attempt to understand why they must.

The story also features kaiju from Daiei, Tsuburaya, and other studios along with Toho. Monsters who step up to the plate in Godzilla's absence be it good or evil include Mothra, Gudis, King Kong, King Ghidorah, Gamera, Megalon, Mechagodzila and Titanosaurus. But there are still a ton of other kaiju in this huge book. Like the aliens we try to give the monsters more personality as well as we verbalize their thoughts and implement into our story something that we have come to call kaiju speak, whereas the beasts can actually talk to one another, albeit to any human bystander what they say is unintelligible. Some may recall seeing something like this in Ghidrah The Three Headed Monster and Godzilla vs. Gigan.

We successfully promoted this story in its early stages at G-FEST 2007, and I did so again myself at G-FEST 2010.

The bottom line is this, none of us ever claimed to be good writers, but that didn't stop us from trying to put together what will hopefully be a fun and very entertaining story for fans of kaiju and science fiction alike.

You can find the link to the website with the story in my sig.

It is also on fanfiction.net.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13746268035476

Thank you for your time.
__________________
THE KING OF THE MONSTERS HAS FALLEN...WHO WILL RULE THE EARTH IN HIS PLACE?


WHEN ALIENS ATTACK! IS HERE!

http://when-aliens-attack.kaijuphile.com/

THE INVASION HAS BEGUN!!!

Re: When Aliens Attack!
  #2  
Old July 31st, 2013, 09:18 PM
Borodan Borodan is offline
Kaiju Forum Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 143
Borodan has no warnings.
Default Re: When Aliens Attack!

I remember reading that "Story parts (not necessarily in order)" thread back in '05 and '06 and being absolutely thrilled at how you all intertwined so many movies and characters into an epic story. (Sorry I never posted - a longtime lurker, this one. )

I'll admit that until I saw this thread I thought When Aliens Attack had simply never been completed. Thus corrected, I devoured the whole thing over two days in one of my periodic reading frenzies.

...

Wow.

I'm not even sure how to properly give feedback on a book this long, but I can offer a few scattered comments.

* The fleshing-out of previously established characters/civilizations worked really well. I especially liked Manda and his death wish, Megalon's surprising nobility and compassion, literally everything about the Simeons, the Moguera army, those conniving Nebulans, the blend of Xians from MZ and GFW, and of course Gudis with his black comedy.

* Sometimes the various alien races felt a little too similar in their militaristic societies and utter loathing of all other races, but I suppose Toho didn't give you much to work with in those regards.

* The SFD's inexorable march across the United States was marvelous - and on that note, I can't possible praise the rematch between King Kong and Godzilla enough.

* Though I appreciated how menacing King Ghidorah was (especially his draining of Mana), a few aspects confused me. How did he create the Kilaaks? How did he reform after being swallowed up by that volcano? Why was his encounter with Monster X, a creature much like him, so brief?

* I greatly preferred the alternate ending; Last Stand just felt like a sequel hook, especially with the sudden introduction of Spacegodzilla. Sure, Mothra's Hail Mary pass was a bit of a deus ex machina, but hey, she does that sort of thing all the time. (So does Godzilla, for that matter, so it felt doubly fitting.)

* As a huge Anguirus fan, I will say I was disappointed at how abruptly (and darkly) the Ang Jr. subplot ended.

Judging from the acknowledgments, you single-handedly brought this endeavor to the final draft stage, a feat which quite frankly I'm in awe of. (Personally, I would have reacted by hiding under my bed.) I understand that many of When Aliens Attack's contributors are now MIA... but if you ever feel like writing a sequel, I'm game.

Re: When Aliens Attack!
  #3  
Old July 31st, 2013, 10:18 PM
Mecha74's Avatar
Mecha74 Mecha74 is offline
Servant & Purveyor of the Gudis Gospel
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,063
Mecha74 is an example of a great member.
Default Re: When Aliens Attack!

Quote:
I remember reading that "Story parts (not necessarily in order)" thread back in '05 and '06 and being absolutely thrilled at how you all intertwined so many movies and characters into an epic story. (Sorry I never posted - a longtime lurker, this one. )

I'll admit that until I saw this thread I thought When Aliens Attack had simply never been completed.

If not for the dearly departed Raptor(Gertrude Smith) WAA would never have been completed, she's the one who lit the fire under me to finish it, and I can't thank her enough for that.

Quote:
Thus corrected, I devoured the whole thing over two days in one of my periodic reading frenzies.
Now it's my turn to say wow!

Quote:
* The fleshing-out of previously established characters/civilizations worked really well. I especially liked Manda and his death wish, Megalon's surprising nobility and compassion, literally everything about the Simeons, the Moguera army, those conniving Nebulans, the blend of Xians from MZ and GFW, and of course Gudis with his black comedy.
Thank you. Having literally blank slates to work with in some cases helped us out tremendously.

Quote:
* Sometimes the various alien races felt a little too similar in their militaristic societies and utter loathing of all other races, but I suppose Toho didn't give you much to work with in those regards.
I'll be the first to admit that we could've been more creative in that regard, even WAA co-creator Gojira2000 brought that to my attention after the fact.

Quote:
* The SFD's inexorable march across the United States was marvelous - and on that note, I can't possible praise the rematch between King Kong and Godzilla enough.
All of that can be laid at the feet of the marvelous writing talents of Pure Funkadelic Evil, a.k.a. Pure Evil, a.k.a. Logan. His work was among my favorites of the group as well.

Quote:
* Though I appreciated how menacing King Ghidorah was (especially his draining of Mana), a few aspects confused me. How did he create the Kilaaks? How did he reform after being swallowed up by that volcano? Why was his encounter with Monster X, a creature much like him, so brief?
Alas most of Ghidorah's backstory was meant to be revealed in the sequel that never got made. Writer MechaRodan left it ambiguous on purpose for that reason. As for the brief encounter with Monster X, he didn't give a reason that I can remember.

Quote:
* I greatly preferred the alternate ending; Last Stand just felt like a sequel hook, especially with the sudden introduction of Spacegodzilla. Sure, Mothra's Hail Mary pass was a bit of a deus ex machina, but hey, she does that sort of thing all the time. (So does Godzilla, for that matter, so it felt doubly fitting.)
At one time there was supposed to be a sequel, but it never came to pass. When I realized that it wasn't going to happen I just had to write the alternate ending. Honestly, I hate cliffhanger endings. It obviously is far from perfect and still leaves allot unanswered, but it's no where near as open ended as the original ending thankfully.

Quote:
* As a huge Anguirus fan, I will say I was disappointed at how abruptly (and darkly) the Ang Jr. subplot ended.
Another unfortunate casualty of the sequel that never was, which would have seen both Goji Jr. and Ang Jr. transform into full grown versions of their namesakes and fight to defend the planet. But in any case I was hoping that their last scene would suggest that they swam off peacefully to return to Monsterland and heal after their ordeal.

Other loose ends included the Iron Empire as well as the surviving Kong who was supposed to become a Kiryuesque version of Mechanikong in the sequel.

Quote:
Judging from the acknowledgments, you single-handedly brought this endeavor to the final draft stage, a feat which quite frankly I'm in awe of. (Personally, I would have reacted by hiding under my bed.)
After two years of hopeless stagnation, I had given up completely on this. Once again I can't thank Raptor enough for contacting me and setting up the new website that the finished story now rests at. It was her inspiration that enabled me to cross the finish line on this.

Quote:
I understand that many of When Aliens Attack's contributors are now MIA
Sad but true. A couple of them are still around, Namely EternalMothra and Gojira2000. And BS Digital Q also helped lay the groundwork for some of the back histories and elements that ended up in the timeline.

Quote:
but if you ever feel like writing a sequel, I'm game.
Why thank you. But I figure the most that might happen would be short stories that I would use to try and tie up some of the still hanging loose ends.

If you were at all interested perhaps in writing a WAA sequel story centering around Ang Jr. or anything else from WAA I fully encourage it myself.

In closing I just want to say that I can't thank you enough for taking the time to read this. After our failed launch back in 2007 and a luke warm reaction to second attempt in 2010 when it was finally finished, I assumed that most of the fandom had forgotten about this and simply wrote it off. Your kind words and feedback mean more than you could possibly know. Thank you again.
__________________
THE KING OF THE MONSTERS HAS FALLEN...WHO WILL RULE THE EARTH IN HIS PLACE?


WHEN ALIENS ATTACK! IS HERE!

http://when-aliens-attack.kaijuphile.com/

THE INVASION HAS BEGUN!!!

Re: When Aliens Attack!
  #4  
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:17 PM
Borodan Borodan is offline
Kaiju Forum Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 143
Borodan has no warnings.
Default Re: When Aliens Attack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha74 View Post
If you were at all interested perhaps in writing a WAA sequel story centering around Ang Jr. or anything else from WAA I fully encourage it myself.
I just might! Mind you, there are glaciers that move faster than I write...

Quote:
In closing I just want to say that I can't thank you enough for taking the time to read this. After our failed launch back in 2007 and a luke warm reaction to second attempt in 2010 when it was finally finished, I assumed that most of the fandom had forgotten about this and simply wrote it off. Your kind words and feedback mean more than you could possibly know. Thank you again.
Aw, shucks.

Re: When Aliens Attack!
  #5  
Old August 3rd, 2013, 08:02 AM
Mecha74's Avatar
Mecha74 Mecha74 is offline
Servant & Purveyor of the Gudis Gospel
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,063
Mecha74 is an example of a great member.
Default Re: When Aliens Attack!

Quote:
I just might! Mind you, there are glaciers that move faster than I write...
That's quite alright, it took us 5 years to get this thing finished.
__________________
THE KING OF THE MONSTERS HAS FALLEN...WHO WILL RULE THE EARTH IN HIS PLACE?


WHEN ALIENS ATTACK! IS HERE!

http://when-aliens-attack.kaijuphile.com/

THE INVASION HAS BEGUN!!!

Re: When Aliens Attack!
  #6  
Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:07 PM
Mecha74's Avatar
Mecha74 Mecha74 is offline
Servant & Purveyor of the Gudis Gospel
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,063
Mecha74 is an example of a great member.
Default Re: When Aliens Attack!

New trailer for the story courtesy of XilianX2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH2Ludr4aMc
__________________
THE KING OF THE MONSTERS HAS FALLEN...WHO WILL RULE THE EARTH IN HIS PLACE?


WHEN ALIENS ATTACK! IS HERE!

http://when-aliens-attack.kaijuphile.com/

THE INVASION HAS BEGUN!!!
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 AM.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
kaijuphile.com