Kaijuphile Forum Archives -- Closed For Posting

Kaijuphile Forum Archives -- Closed For Posting (http://www.kaijuphile.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Kaiju and Fantastic Creatures Discussion (http://www.kaijuphile.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Obscure Kaiju & Other Giant Monsters (http://www.kaijuphile.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804)

Kevzilla April 10th, 2006 11:26 AM

Re: Obscure Kaiju & Other Giant Monsters

I found a clip of, What I think to be a lost film, showing king kong. here's the link to it:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...nsters&pl=true

mattman April 13th, 2006 12:47 PM

That was not KING KONG. This was from a film from 1930 called THE GORILLA. This film is lost. This scene represents how horrible the gorilla as a criminal mastermind is.

mattman May 1st, 2006 11:12 AM

I was reading a book by Donald C. Willis called HORROR AND SCINCE FICTION FILMS: A COMPLETE CHECK LIST (1972). I went to a section in the book where it discuss about upcoming films. Some were made (e.g. EARTHQUAKE, DR. PHIBES RIDES AGAIN, FROGS, CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, THE EXORCIST), other had their titles altered and others were left unmade.

I ran into some titles and I was wondering if we can discuss about them here in this thread. :)

The titles were G.O.O. (GENETIC OCTOPODULAR OOZE), DRACULA VS THE TERROR OF ATLANTIS, GAMERA VS LEOMAN, SINBAD GOES TO INDIA, KING KONG: FRANKENSTEIN'S SON (Japanese film by Toho).

We all know that GAMERA VS LEOMAN ended up as GAMERA VS GARASHARP but sadly, Daiei was bankrupt!

DRACULA VS THE TERROR OF ATLANTIS
Are there any giant monsters in this film or not? Does anyone have a picture relating to this film? Does anyone has information about this film. Everyone loves to know, so please be specific.:)

SINBAD GOES TO INDIA
From what I read, it was a sequel to THE 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD. I think this picture ended up as THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD (1974). Does anyone agree with me? I'd like to hear from you.

KING KONG: FRANKENSTEIN'S SON
WTF?! WTF?! :confused: Well from what we all know, this was the given title when KING KONG ESCAPES (1967) was released in Germany. I read on this book that Toho was planning to make that film as a possible sequel to KING KONG ESCAPES. Probably there is an explanation to why KK was struck by lightening and woke up in KING KONG VS GODZILLA (1962). BTW, I never saw KK VS G.

Also I found another obsucre film from Spain called TORCH RIDERS. It was made in the 60's and it said that they ran into a monster called "Kink Kong".

Here is another obsucre one. Really obsucre. It is from Russia called TIKKI TIKKI (1971). This is a Russian kiddie film that involved a King Kong-type creature. Does anyone have info on this film? Or how about pictures?

I found one film in the list of movies (already made at that time) called NECROPOLIS (1970) the book briefly described, "Frankenstein monster, devil and a Minotaur in the person of King Kong". :crazy: Whoa!

I'd like to discuss about this to keep the thread going.

Enshohma May 4th, 2006 04:48 AM

Inspired by Mattman and his recently found titles...which I sadly no little about myself...some more unmade kaiju love!

MAJIN GARON (1972, unmade)

The 1970s were a major period for Japanese super heroes, as multiple live action and animated shows dominated television at the time. This area is also known as the Second Kaiju Boom, but unlike the Golden Age of Godzilla and the like, multiple new monster characters came on a near daily basis. This was also the era the iconic heroes like Kamen Rider (a.k.a. Masked Rider) and Gatchaman (a.k.a. G-force, Battle of the Planets) came into being, the Ultraman franchise started up again after the lukewarm performance of "Ultraseven" back in 1967. And the beginning of Toei's Super Sentai franchise, which still goes on to this day in Japan and also in America as "Power Rangers".

One such character from time was "Thunder Mask" a.k.a "Suanda Masku", a live action series which ran on Nippon TV from October 3rd, 1972 to December 27th 1973 with 26 episodes. The story told of Space Archeologist Professor Katase, who uncovers a ten thousand year old article that tells the coming of a demon lord called Deganda, who will destroy mankind. Fortunately the article also tells of a giant savior who will also awaken to save mankind, from which Katase tries to locate himself.

The Professor finds the location where the hero's capsule lies dormant and revives the hero called Thunder Mask. Thunder Mask takes on the human guise of Inochi Kosei and joins the Science Team to battle the forces of not just Evil Lord Deganda, but also his own diabolical master Emperor Bem King and their army of giant 'Majuu' monsters.

Based on the Shukan Shonen Sunday Manga Series by Tezuka Osamu (creator of "Astroy Boy" and considered the Godfather of Japanese comics and animation), "Thunder Mask" was originally planned as a theatrical film called "Majin Garon" which translates as "Demon God Garon". Unlike the final version of the lead character, Garon decidedly more wicked looking and ultimately film plans were changed to that of a TV pilot.

However, Mushi Pro was suffering financial problems and scrapped the project, transferring the development team to one of Mushi Pro's other divisions, Hiromi Pro. There, the "Majin Garon" project was scaled back and redeveloped into the program we now know as "Thunder Mask". While the original pilot "Majin Garon" was never aired, pictures and photos of the project exists and we'll be sure to add them here if we get some, to give you the reader an idea how the unmade film would have been like. Below are images of the final incarnation, Thunder Mask, in both his human and giant forms.

Extra links on Thunder Mask

http://www.japanhero.com/tokusatsu%2...ask_images.htm
http://www.japanhero.com/profiles/th...k_profileL.htm

GODZILLA VS. GAMERA (2002, Unmade)

The following is from Henshin! Online (11/14/'02) which makes mention of a major crossover between Godzilla and Gamera that ultimately, after the initial announcement, was never made. Sadly it seems the planned ‘Daimajin’ remake also mentioned has since then fallen to the waste side as well:

Kadokawa Daiei Motion Picture Co., Ltd. to produce GODZILLA VS. GAMERA!
Translation & additional information: August Ragone
Source: Evening Fuji Online

This past July, Kadokawa Publishing, which is no stranger to film production, purchased the world-famous Daiei Motion Picture Company. Kadokawa has produced films in the past, usually based on its own publications, which have been some of the biggest scale productions ever made in Japan. The impressive roster of films includes the box-office hits LEGEND OF THE EIGHT SAMURAI (Satomi Hakken Den), VIRUS (Fukkatsu-no Hi) and HARMAGEDDON (Harumagedon).

This month, Kadokawa Publishing's head, 58 year-old Maihiko Kadokawa, launches his own film studio -- the "Kadokawa-Daiei Motion Picture Company." To assist him in this new venture, Kadokawa has hired 65 year-old Kazuo Kuroi, President of Kinema Jumpo, as the company's Chairman. Kinema Jumpo is Japan's oldest and most respected film critique magazine.

The Evening Fuji tapped Chairman Kuroi for his comments, "Every year, we will aim to produce two to three large-scale films [in addition to smaller productions]." One of the first of these large-scale productions, the new company plans on remaking one of the original Daiei hits, DAIMAJIN. It was also revealed that they are in negotiations with the Toho Motion Picture Company to co-produce GODZILLA VS. GAMERA.

The original Daiei Motion Picture Company was founded in 1942 as "The Greater Japan Motion Picture Company," under President Masaichi Nagata. Together, they produced a number of hits both domestically (with such series as ZATOICHI) and internationally (with award-winning films such as RASHOMON and THE GATE OF HELL -- the first Japanese film shot in color).

Due to lax business policies and mismanagement, the studio closed its doors in 1971. Tokuma Shoten Publishing Company purchased the studio, and its remaining holdings, in 1974, and limited production began anew. A year after the passing of Tokuma's president, Yasunari Tokuma (who loved the old Daiei films), the publishing giant transferred the property and holdings to Kadokawa.

According to Kadokawa Publishing, Daimajin could be stomping his way onto the screen again! Despite the scandals caused by the controversial original president of Kadokawa Publishing, Haruki Kadokawa, the company continued to move forward in film production. As a result, the company moved its film production division from the main branch to subsidiaries "Asmic Ace Entertainment" and "Tosca Domain." Now, Kadokawa moves the new Daiei company to the forefront.

"We will strive to develop as a real force in the motion picture business," announced CEO Maihiko Kadokawa at the press conference on the new company, and with Chairman Kuroi, this movie maverick is looking to move fast and furious within the first month of business, and is not wasting any time.

The foundation of the policies concerning operation are, according to Chairman Kuroi:

1. Make the Kadokawa Group the number one film production company in Japan and produce two to three lavish and large-scale films per year, released nationwide, in addition to three or four more modest productions for smaller releases.

2. The productions of original made-for-video release, as well as programs and movies made-for-television.

3. Acquisition and distribution of foreign films for the Japanese market.

4. Business management of Daiei Motion Picture Studios in Chofu, Tokyo.

"Following in the footsteps of Nagata's Daiei and Tokuma's Daiei, we are positive in our forward momentum, based on the former's great successes. It was also the late President Tokuma's desire to bring back DAIMAJIN, to experience the many successes that Toho's Godzilla, and Daiei's Gamera franchises have enjoyed. We also hope to produce a lavish movie spectacle, in which those two monsters will finally meet in battle."

Back in 1990, former President Tokuma announced the planning of a new DAIMAJIN film at the Yubari Film Festival, to be co-produced by Golden Harvest and starring Kevin Costner [source: Kinema Jumpo magazine]. As unlikely as that seemed, it was almost a reality, until Golden Harvest backed out (Daiei licensed the TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES films for Japan from Golden Harvest). Fortunately, for all of mankind, this version of DAIMAJIN was never produced.

Now, with Japanese special effects masters like Shinji Higuchi, such a new version of DAIMAJIN could be realized like never before. Backed by Kadokawa-Daiei's promise of large-scale spectacles, with lavish budgets, this could become a reality faster than a dethroned princess can evoke the evil side of Shino. But, will such a film be as powerful as the original films without the music of Akira Ifukube? If the new Daiei follows through, we shall see.

As for the proposed GODZILLA VS. GAMERA, at the time of publication, representatives from Toho were not tapped for comments on the proposed match of the century -- could GODZILLA VS. GAMERA be the 50th Anniversary Godzilla film for 2004? One must wonder if Shusuke Kaneko's phone isn't already ringing...

Meanwhile, Kadokawa-Daiei is not wasting any time, the infant motion picture company has already acquired several foreign films for Japanese distribution, including new Chinese and French films (for release this coming year's Golden Week celebrations). Also, commencing this coming March, the entire Daiei Studios will be completely renovated, to meet with today's standards in motion picture production.

"The Kadokawa-Daiei Motion Picture Company will be the final word in visual production. With the active personnel interchange throughout our Kadokawa Group of companies, we will maintain a fresh and active stance, which is not currently evident in the [Japanese] film industry."

But still, with the current non-ambitious nature of the current Japanese film industry, the abilities of Chairman Kuroi will be under harsh scrutiny from this point forward. Can the new Daiei raise the bar, for not only itself, but for the Japanese film industry as a whole? Will Daimajin march again? Will Gamera finally challenge Godzilla? Only time will tell.

Special thanks Aaron Smith from Monster Zero News and to Kayo Misawa Holden for bringing the original article to our attention.

MISC USELESS INFORMATION

And before I end this post, here are some random bits of monster names and size reference, mostly from the book "The World of Kong: A History of Skull Island". Enjoy!

Plant Enemies from Godzilla Game:

'Air Born Plant Bombers' (multiple)
'Bio Blockades' (multiple)
'Bio Cannon' (multiple)
'Foliage Pod Cannons' (multiple)Japan
'Thorn Towers' (multiple)
'Vine Cannons' (multiple)

'Firestorm Phoenix' (multiple fire ball & bird forms)
'Firestorm Serpents' (multiple) [strong resemblance to Manda]

Shoe-ins from "The World of Kong" book, 30 feet and over:

Asperdorus (Rough Back Warrior)
Carver (Carocarptor Interfector; Flesh-Carver Assassin)
Ligocristus (Hoe-Crest), a corpse of one of this duckbill dinosaurs appeared briefly in the 2005 movie.

Very close Judgement Calls, Kong's height (25ft) to 29 feet

Avarusaurus (Greedy Lizard Ravager)
Diablosaurus (Red Devil Lizard)
Tartarusaurus (Cruel-Hell Lizard)

Notation worthy lesser sized beasts, below Kong height:

Aciedactylus (Sharp-edge-fingers Devour-crab)
Ambulaquasaurus (Red-crest Water-walk-lizard)
Arsartis (Arsarticaedes Agilis; Nimble Skilled-at-murder)
Atercurisaurus (Dark-spear-lizard) , he's 24ft long.
Brutornis (Heavy-Fowl)
Dirusuchus (Dire-crocodile)
Gladiodon (Fire-spine Sword-tooth)
Hebeosaurus Torvus (Grim Sluggish-lizards)
Inox (Gluttonous Swamp-Dweller)
Malamagnus (Big Mouth of Shallow Water)
Malevolusaurus (Malicious-Lizard Destroyer), he's 24ft long.
Monstrutalpus (Monster-mole)
Needlemouth (Acusos Cadaverosus; Ghastly Needle Mouth)
Nefundusaurus (Troublesome Abominable-lizard)
Peracerdon (Deadly Very-Sharp-Tooth)
Stickalithus (Sterculithos Arachne; Stone-dung Arachne)
Sylvaceratops (Forest-horned-face)
Termito'saurus (Formicavoro; Ant-Swallower)
Turturassis (Turtle-Helmet)

10 feet and under:

Bidensaurus (Deadly Tow-fanged Lizard)
Calcarisaurus (Hungry Spur-Lizard)
Dinocanisaurus (Terrible-dog-lizard)
Gaur, larger Skull Island cousin of Asian Oxen
Hydruscimex Maximus (Large Serpent bug)
Hylaeornis (Big Forest-bird)
Mortifillex Venefecus (Poisonous Deadly-lure)
Limusaur (Nibble-Away-Molluscs Slime Lizard)
Lycaesaurus (Kirk's Wolf Lizard)
Pinnatono (Ill-natured Feather Thunder)
Noctupervagus (Fat Roving-by-night)
Pugiodorsus Squameus (Scaly Dagger-back)
Scimitodon (Shrewd Scimitar-tooth)
Sepulcro (Ugly Grave Mouth)
Skin-Bird (Cutisaves Atroxides; Hideous-form Skin-bird)
Udusaur (Ugly Wet-lizard)
Venatosaurus Impavidus (Indomitable Hunter-Lizard), smaller cousin to the larger Venatosaurs
Zeropteryx (No-Wings), this bird is said to be one of characters edited out of the 2005 film.

Extra characters:

Burger King, the (giant size version) - "Kong-sized Triple Whopper" Burger King / Kong tie-in TV commercial US 2005

Cam Eleon May 5th, 2006 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattman
I found one film in the list of movies (already made at that time) called NECROPOLIS (1970) the book briefly described, "Frankenstein monster, devil and a Minotaur in the person of King Kong". :crazy: Whoa!

I'd like to discuss about this to keep the thread going.

Well, thanks to a wonderful (and recent) book of essays entitled King Kong Cometh (which I just treated myself to before leaving my bookstore job) we get some answers on this one.

One essay from monster historian Donald F. Glut mentions this surreal little film. It's Italian and both written and directed by one Franco Brocani for 'Cosmoseion & Q Productions'. It is said to feature famous historical and movie villains in "several plotless episodes". Both the Minotaur and Kong appear as his Kingship is unwinding a string through a labyrinth leading to the movie's opening set.

And to add one more to these newfound obscurities, the same essay also mentions Kong appearing in a fantasy sequence from a 1965 Israeli(!) film called HOR BALEVANA (translation: 'A Hole in the Moon') directed by Uri Zohar for a company called Navon.

With all these appearances, references and rip-offs, ain't no wonder Kong is the King....

mattman May 19th, 2006 01:55 PM

I also found another obscure one from the book by Donald C. Willis called HORROR AND SCINCE FICTION FILMS: A COMPLETE CHECK LIST (1972).

I went to the upcoming section and found:

DRACULA VS THE BEASTS OF ZARCON
We are expecting some giant monsters around here.

LAND OF 1000 MONSTERS
I am expecting some gigantisism.

MONSTER FROM 1000 A.D.
Same here. Perhaps it is related to ONE MILLION A.D.

These films were left unmade. Does anyone know info about them?

Enshohma May 23rd, 2006 09:23 PM

Quote:

I also found another obscure one from the book by Donald C. Willis called HORROR AND SCINCE FICTION FILMS: A COMPLETE CHECK LIST (1972).

I went to the upcoming section and found:

DRACULA VS THE BEASTS OF ZARCON
We are expecting some giant monsters around here.

LAND OF 1000 MONSTERS
I am expecting some gigantisism.

MONSTER FROM 1000'000 A.D.
Same here. Perhaps it is related to ONE MILLION A.D.

These films were left unmade. Does anyone know info about them?

Unfortunately no mattman, nice finds though and if I come across anything I'll let you know. Two other unmade titles I stumbled upon was ULTRAMAN II: REQUIEM a sequel to 2004's "Ultraman the Next" which looks to have been canned do to its predecessor’s less then stellar performance at the box office. And THE BEAST OF GATOR BAYOU which features a bipedal alligator beast much like the unrelated title monster of "Dino-Croc" but looks to be a dropped Hollywood made horror film from the mid 1990s. Sadly only sketch and concept art exists and the site featuring them is long since gone.

While I’m here, I’ll post some info that can be found else where in the Kaiju news section:

THE HOST (2006)

This year marks (hopefully) the completion (or so they say) of the much awaited Korean monster epic "D-Wars" (formally "Dragon Wars") and although from the same people who brought us the dismal "Youngarry" of 1999-2001, it seems that they've gone the distances with D-War. Complete with far better special effects, more spectacular fantasy and monster elements, and lesser known US actors who can actually act. But despite the anticipation for this giant monster film from fans on this side of the globe, there's been another lesser-sized Korean monster movie that the Korean public in general has been more eager see finished. Called "The Host", like D-War its been in work for sometime now, features quality CGI and where as D-War is a fantasy adventure with mythical alien beasts, the Host is an off-beat horror film about a killer tadpole like creepy making its deadly assaults on people unlucky enough to venture near its hidden home in Han River. Between the two monsters, the Host has made it to completion first and had a premiere outside of the official Cannes event (i.e. off-Broadway style) over the recent weekend. And the good news is that the US critics from such noted sources like Variety are giving it very good reviews.

Variety Review:

Quote:

The Host ("Guimul", South Korea - Japan)

A Showbox/Mediaplex (in South Korea)/Kadokawa Herald (in Japan) release of a Chungeorahm Film, Showbox/Mediaplex (South Korea)/Happinet Corp. (Japan) presentation, in association with participation of OCN, Knowledge & Creation Ventures Co., IBK Capital Corp., Cineclick Asia, Cowell, BiNext Capital, IMM Investment Corp., SBS, M-Venture Investment, Tube Pictures Co., Sego Entertainment Co., CJ Venture Investment, Boston Investment Co., of a Chungeorahm Film production. (International sales: Cineclick Asia, Seoul.) Produced by Choi Yong-bae. Executive producers, Choi, Kim Woo-taek, Jeong Tae-sung. Co-producer, Jo Neung-yeon. Directed by Bong Joon-ho. Screenplay, Bong, Ha Jun-weon, Baek Cheol-hyeon; story, Bong.

With: Song Gang-ho, Byeon Heui-bong, Park Hae-il, Bae Du-na, Ko A-sung, Lee ****-ho, Lee Jae-eung, Yun Je-mun, Kim Roi-ha, Park No-shik, Yim Pil-sung.
(Korean, English dialogue)

By DEREK ELLEY

On almost every level, there's never quite been a monster movie like "The Host." Egregiously subverting its own genre while still delivering shocks at a pure genre level, and marbled with straight-faced character humor that constantly throws the viewer off balance, much-hyped big-budgeter about a huge mutant tadpole that emerges from Seoul's Han River is a bold gamble that looks headed to instant cult status. Broader biz, especially beyond East Asia, will depend heavily on reaction to its world preem in Directors Fortnight, and some re-editing would better equip it for specialty distribution in the West.

Film is set for a wide, late July release in South Korea, followed by an early September roll-out in Japan, which provided almost half of the reported $10 million coin (huge in local terms). Helmer Bong Joon-ho ("Barking Dogs Never Bite," "Memories of Murder") has not ruled out some tweaking in the meantime. Reaction at its gala midnight screening on Sunday, heavily populated by Asiaphiles, was a mixture of admiration and discombobulation.

Beyond all the fancy visual effects -- way above the rocky level of recent Asian fantasies like "The Myth" and "The Promise" -- in tone the picture falls somewhere between the social parable of "Dogs" and the character-driven, offbeat drama of "Memories."

Pic, which is not even in widescreen, will be best appreciated by auds who just go with the quirky flow rather than expect regulated, U.S.-style thrills. In its mix of genre-bending, political asides and character emphasis, there are strong parallels with Larry Cohen's 1982 cult classic, "Q: The Winged Serpent."

Prologue, set six years ago at the U.S. Army Base in Yonsan, Seoul, has a South Korean flunky ordered by his Yank boss to empty gallons of aging formaldehyde into the sink -- and therefore straight into the Han River, which flows through the capital. Clearly ludicrous English-language scene (which would benefit from revoicing) signals Bong's lack of interest in making a science-heavy blockbuster -- there's little emphasis on the usual government-military paraphernalia of such movies.Cut to October '06 and locals are enjoying a day out on the banks of the river. Among them are convenience stall owner Park Heui-bong (Byeon Heui-bong), his idle doofus son, Gang-du (Song Gang-ho, the cop in "Murder"), and the latter's daughter, young high-schooler Hyeon-seo (Ko A-sung).

When something is spotted hanging beneath one of the bridges and then sliding into the river, the locals pelt it with cans and snacks. But, Gang-du and Hyeon-seo are more interested in watching the televised National Archery Championships, in which her young aunt, Nam-ju (Bae Du-na, lead in "Dogs"), is competing.

First appearance of the monster is aces, catching the viewer off guard after a slow build-up. Combo of visceral energy and offbeat humor, plus Lee Byeong-woo's pounding drum music, is impressive, and as the creature finally scoops up Hyeon-su with its tail and swims off, the stage is set.

When the Park family assembles later at a funeral parlor, pic again throws the viewer as their grief turns to physical in-fighting, with Gang-du's younger brother, jobless graduate Nam-il (Park Hae-il), blaming Gang-du for Hyeon-su's death.

The government claims the creature is host to a horrifying, unknown virus and fumigates the area. Following the death of a Yank soldier, the U.S. military decides on "direct intervention" by using a secret chemical weapon, Agent Yellow. Meanwhile, Gang-du & Co., convinced by a cell phone call that Hyeon-su is still alive, escape the government quarantine and hunt down her and the creature. Script's political content is more occasional barbs than a fully developed subtext. Bong maintains the focus on the Park family, with Gang-du lumbering through the drama with assists from onetime student revolutionary Nam-il and expert archer Nam-ju. Problematic central section could do with 15 minutes of tightening. Final half-hour, however, is aces as all the threads connect, with no simple heroes and a kind of sad, messy triumph, plus a barbed coda.

Perfs are more than fine with especial kudos to Ko as the plucky Hyeon-seo, local star Song as the working-class slob, and Bae as the sportswoman.

Visual f/x, supervised by Kevin Rafferty ("Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace") and largely done by San Francisco-based The Orphanage, are a slick meld of CGI and animation, while always reminding the audience that, at the end of the day, the creature is only a movie monster.

Camera (color), Kim Hyeong-gu; editor, Kim Sun-min; music, Lee Byeong-woo; production designer, Ryu Seong-heui; costumes, Jo Sang-gyeong; sound (Dolby Digital), Lee Seung-cheol, Choi Tae-yeong; visual effects-animation, The Orphanage (San Francisco); visual effects supervisor, Kevin Rafferty; special creature effects, Jang Heui-cheol. Reviewed at Cannes Film Festival (Directors Fortnight), May 21, 2006. Running time: 118 MIN.
http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...d=VE1117930596

New York Times brife mention:

Quote:

...Another offering from South Korea — and the best film I've seen to date at this year's festival — is "The Host," which for some reason is screening outside the main festival program in a parallel section called the Directors' Fortnight. Directed by Bong Joon-ho, who made the policier "Memories of Murder," this terrific hybrid-genre fantasy about a mutant creature with a lotuslike mouth and a steady appetite has been alternately described as a monster movie and a science fiction thriller, but is also a comedy, a family drama, a political critique and, at times, a seriously scary freak-out. Mr. Bong can shift moods and tones on a dime, and when the loudly appreciative audience wasn't laughing at the witty dialogue it was shrieking at tensely wound scenes as effective as any in Steven Spielberg's "War of the Worlds."

MANOHLA DARGIS
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/23/mo...in&oref=slogin

Nerve at Cannes 2006 brife mention:

Quote:

...Meanwhile, I'm now on a quest to find Richard Kelly, assuming he hasn't already skipped town, and force him to watch Bong Joon-ho's terrific The Host, a low-budget (by American standards) creature feature playing in the Director's Fortnight. If nothing else, he'd get an object lesson in how to yoke bitter political commentary to goofy genre mechanics without becoming fatally mired in self-indulgence. Best known for his remarkably grim police procedural Memories of Murder (widely considered one of the finest films commercially released in the U.S. last year), Bong here demonstrates a facility for virtuosic mayhem to rival Spielberg's; despite special effects that were state-of-the-art around 1993, the first appearance of the monster ranks among the most thrilling and imaginative action sequences in recent memory -- serious hold-your-breath-when-you're-not-nervously-giggling stuff. And yet it's a fair question whether Hollywood will come calling, because no major studio would ever countenance popcorn fare this determinedly bleak and despairing -- The Host makes comparatively grown-up summer flicks like War of the Worlds and Batman Begins look downright sunny by comparison. Indeed, the monster is arguably the least of beleaguered hero Song Kang-ho's problems, even though it's holding his teenage daughter in the bowels of the Seoul sewer system. A full-scale assault on governmental and military negligence and incompetence (both American and Korean), the film never allows its anger and sorrow to overwhelm our natural rooting interest in the characters and their struggles. I can only hope to see a Competition entry this impressive.
http://www.nerve.com/nerveblog/canne...=106e4774#4774

Hopefully "The Host" will make good business in its native homeland and D-War will follow suit with similar success with audience and critics alike.

Source: The Kaiju Shakedown
http://www.kaijushakedown.com/

mattman June 5th, 2006 08:51 PM

I found pictures from KING **** (1984 a.k.a. LOST ON ADVENTURE ISLAND, SUPER SIMIAN).

[IMG]http://superstrangevideo.com/prodGalImgs/King****10.JPG[/IMG]
A T-Rex.

[IMG]http://superstrangevideo.com/prodGalImgs/King****4.JPG[/IMG]
A Plesiosaur.

[IMG]http://superstrangevideo.com/prodGalImgs/King****11.JPG[/IMG]
A gorilla played by the director.

[IMG]http://superstrangevideo.com/prodGalImgs/King****5.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]http://superstrangevideo.com/prodImages/King****Front.JPG[/IMG]
The title character. He looks like a combination between the Volkswagon Kong and the Son of Kong.

The animation is in the MYSTERIOUS PLANET standards.

Any comments or questions.

Cam Eleon June 12th, 2006 02:44 AM

Over the past couple weeks, good ol’ Uncle Cam was gathering the ‘ingredients’ together to cook up a Chinese ‘buffet’ for you here.

You see, a couple months back, while searching for information on the elusive film WAR GOD, I ran into evidence of several Chinese films featuring giant monsters, but thanks to the language barrier, had no idea what they were. Finally, after being sent through tons of sites in Chinese, Thai, Japanese, French and German (!), not to mention much use and abuse of Google, Babelfish and Photobucket, I’m able to bring you several morsals that I’ve (so far) managed to identify. Feast on these:

THE BEHEADED 1000 (1994):

Raf actually remembered seeing this on TV a few years back. For some strange reason, most Chinese giant monsters appear in period pieces, like many older martial arts films tend to be. This one is a classic example. A retiring executioner (played by famous Chinese action actor and Bruce Lee contemporary Jimmy Wang Yu- and thanks automatic board censor!) has a run in with the revenge-seeking ghosts of several evildoers he has put to the chop. Unhappy with their escape from the afterlife is one character named The Guardian of Hell (!) played by character actor Wu Ma. In one scene, he is shown assuming giant size and the first link below shows this.

http://www.cinemafareast.de/filme_b/...ed_1000_08.jpg

http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/beheaded1000.htm

http://mitglied.lycos.de/uzumaki/rev...headed1000.htm

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=535

http://www.dighkmovies.com/v4/245/245.html

THE CAT (1992):

And here’s another one I have Raf to thank for turning me onto. Remember what I said above about Chinese giant monsters appearing in period pieces? Well, this film is one of the exceptions to the rule. The film is actually linked to another mentioned a few pages back, THE LEGEND OF WISELY. This is actually a series of several movies which themselves are based on novels featuring Wisely, a sort of more science fiction-y James Bond. In this particular outing, our hero faces a creepy, ever expanding giant blob monster, so nasty it would have made Steve McQueen soil himself. It’s a seriously warped film. More details, the first being a general information link about the Wisely series (scroll down that page):

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/lexique.asp?lid=43

http://mitglied.lycos.de/uzumaki/reviews/cat.htm

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=747

http://www.moria.co.nz/sf/cat92.htm

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/reviews.m...isplay_set=eng

YOUNG FLYING HERO (1970):

The first of two films posted about some time back at Monster Zero. Not much is known plot-wise except what we have shown in the lobby cards and poster- big spider, giant frog, human hero who not only does indeed fly but also grows large and one nasty big dragon. And give yourself an extra fortune cookie if all these elements seem a tad familiar; I’ve read that it was taken from the same story (Jiraiya the Ninja) that inspired the kaiju film THE MAGIC SERPENT!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...lyinghero1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...gherolobby.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...yingposter.jpg

DEVIL FIGHTER (1969):

This is the second of the two Monster Zero mentioned titles. Again, not much more about this than what is on the lobby cards. But, boy, what lobby cards! Period human hero versus several ‘bat demons’ and one huge one that’s a giant cross between a schnauzer, a child’s Halloween bat costume and The Iron Sheik! They sure don’t make ‘em like this anymore, kiddies:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ilfighter1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ilfighter2.jpg

A VALIANT VILLAIN (1969):

At first glance, it seems to be a standard period style ‘quest’ adventure. With one notable exception- a humongous friggin’ sea monster! The poster seems to show the hero being as large as the beast (you can just make it out at the top), but the actual pictures show the creature’s head large enough to swallow a human in one gulp. Curiouser and curiouser. Again, not much more info on it, but the pictures speak for themselves. Fortunately, this one is available to get in what seems to be vcd form:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...eseunknown.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/82d7d9aa.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...wnchinese1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...seunknown2.jpg

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

THE PHOENIX (1983):

This one was really hard to pin down, thanks to the title. Yet again, precious little background info, except the lobby card showing the period hero and the Rodan sized Phoenix (even if it does look more like a giant peacock than a legendary firebird). One interesting thing though is the poster, found on the same site I found the lobby card. The artwork is by the great Boris Vallejo himself (look for the signature at the bottom, if the style didn’t give it away). So, either some company ripped off one of his paintings for the poster or he was actually commissioned to do it! Whatever case, someone’s got taste:

[Edit 10/07- Recently discovered this was a film that was also known as WAR OF THE WIZARDS and have adjusted the information above.]:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/phoenix2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/phoenix1.jpg

THE SAVIOUR MONK (1989):

One thing is certain looking at the lobby card for this: there be dragons here! Well, I’m thinking at least one, since that image looks like it was flipped for aesthetic reasons. Still, it’s ‘breathing’ legit fire, so that’s points there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...aviourmonk.jpg

Tang Wei plays a monk, who goes to the underworld to rescue his mother, which would allow her into Heaven. In fact, the film’s Mandarin title is MU LIAN JIU MU (literally translates as Mu Lian Saves His Mother). Mu faces some very weird beings on the other side, dragon included. I’m making an educated guess here since I have only the above pic to go by, but if the poster is correct, he may have more giant adversaries there. Look to our left of Mu in the poster below; the dragon is breathing fire at some kind of giant demon. If the sizes are what we assume, one more for the list:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...MonkPoster.jpg

http://www.tungfilm.com.tw/detail/the_saviour_monk.htm (In Chinese only, but has pics)

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004152604/

LEGEND OF MOTHER GODDESS (1975):

Also possibly mistranslated as “Legend of Mother Goodess”. Actually found this while getting links to go with this article. Not much to go on besides the poster and a mention on a message board, but it did confirm the dragon and the unconfirmed size sea demons on the poster are in the film. Of course, Chinese goddesses can change size at will, so who knows what this is like. Fortunately, it does seem available for purchase, too:

http://www.tungfilm.com.tw/detail/th...rr_goodess.htm (Chinese only, but has pics)

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004140122/

DEVIL(/MONSTER) FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (1976):

Loosen your belts, this last serving is a big one. Way back on the first page of this thread we had a mention of the infamous Chinese giant monster film THE FAIRY AND THE DEVIL along with a link to a review by the one and only Foywonder (the only online review of it so far). Well, hold on to your chopsticks, folks; this film- with two differing translated titles- is somehow related to the other one! The lobby cards and stills seemed awful familiar to me, so, since I own a copy of FAIRY, I did a comparison. It looks like not only do the cat-faced sea monster and large green demon costumes look alike, but the guy in white holding the sword seems to be identical, too! Because the scenes and some monsters shown don’t appear in FAIRY, you’d have to think it was a separate movie. So, did they just raid the same costume and prop departments or is there an actual connection? No one knows for now, but the search continues (under both names)….:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...omofthesea.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...mofthesea2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...mofthesea3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...mofthesea4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...fromthesea.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...romthesea2.jpg

Chinese fantasy films are an acquired taste for sure, but there is a lot of interesting stuff here if you give it a chance. True, stories go all over the imagination map, but that’s what gives them all their flavor. Not to mention, there’s an abundance of hidden giant monsters in there. I know that there’s plenty more helpings where those came from. It's rough finding info on those films- especially pre-1985, but hopefully, we can translate more to serve up before too long….

mattman October 10th, 2006 01:40 PM

Let's not forget THE LAST OF THE OSO-SI PAPU.

Enshohma, you got this on your website.

I ran into other incarnations of that unamde film by a pair of Obie fans. Jim Danforth and Steve Archer.

In 1972, Jim Danforth wanted to bring Obie's story to life. He decided to come up with TOM MIX AND THE HELL BEAST. The hell beast was spawned from a meteor that crashed to earth. The story was set in 1916.

In 1986, Steve Archer wanted to bring the story to life only this time under the title, THE DEITY. It is the same thing as THE LAST OF THE OSO-SI PAPU story except it is set in the 1940's.
In 1991, Steve Archer decided to come up with the Obie's story again and called it, THE CREATOR. IT is the same thing as OSO-SI PAPU except it is set in modern times.

I have more info on that.

BTW, PEOPLE OF THE MIST was based on a book by H.Rider Haggard. He wrote SHE and KING SOLOMAN'S MINES. And boy did that monster look like a hybrid between Mighty Joe Young and The Beast From 20'000 Fathoms.

I got more coming at ya.
;)

Enshohma October 10th, 2006 02:32 PM

Quote:

Let's not forget THE LAST OF THE OSO-SI PAPU.

Enshohma, you got this on your website.

I ran into other incarnations of that unamde film by a pair of Obie fans. Jim Danforth and Steve Archer.

In 1972, Jim Danforth wanted to bring Obie's story to life. He decided to come up with TOM MIX AND THE HELL BEAST. The hell beast was spawned from a meteor that crashed to earth. The story was set in 1916.

In 1986, Steve Archer wanted to bring the story to life only this time under the title, THE DEITY. It is the same thing as THE LAST OF THE OSO-SI PAPU story except it is set in the 1940's.
In 1991, Steve Archer decided to come up with the Obie's story again and called it, THE CREATOR. IT is the same thing as OSO-SI PAPU except it is set in modern times.

I have more info on that.

BTW, PEOPLE OF THE MIST was based on a book by H.Rider Haggard. He wrote SHE and KING SOLOMAN'S MINES. And boy did that monster look like a hybrid between Mighty Joe Young and The Beast From 20'000 Fathoms.

I got more coming at ya.
;)

Mattman, you've outdone yourself this time! Thank you very much for the information and will quote you on these projects when I make mention of them in the future.

I haven't been doing the Obscure Kaiju thread much lately, but I hope to do a review of the recently released "Invader" DVD among other tidbits. And forsaking "D-Wars" here's yet another positive review of the offbeat Korean kaiju / horror film "The Host".

Spoilers ahead:

http://www.kaijushakedown.com/2006/1...st_review.html

Enshohma October 20th, 2006 03:00 PM

Our own Kpa and the good folks at Sci-Fi Japan have posted a huge article on the 2004 fantasy epic "The Great Yokai War" and its recent September DVD release. Despite being a major hit in its native country and a strong word of mouth and reviews in screening here in the US, I find that most kaiju fans are unaware such a film exists. Probably because it was over shadowed in the fan community by "Godzilla Final Wars", thus making it obscure currently. Hopefully this will start the ball to roll somewhat.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...eat-yokai-war/

Cam Eleon November 19th, 2006 11:22 AM

Before I start with my latest findings, here’s a couple pics missed from my last entry – some tidbits I was only recently able to transfer to my pc:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...terposter1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...mofthesea5.jpg

Anyways, a page or so ago, Yongary found a review of the legendary WANGMAGWI that included a passing mention of the film FLYING MONSTERS. Well, after a whole lotta searching, here’s what I was able to find about that brief little Korean obscurity:

FLYING MONSTERS (1985)-

Ah, 1985. Godzilla had just returned from a several year absence here in the US and, like today, fans were eagerly awaiting the next year’s Transformers film (only in that case, it was the real one- @#$% you, Michael Bay!) Long story short, during this time period, the North Koreans had shanghaied South Korean director/producer Shin Sang-ok to make their own kaiju film, PULGASARI. This he did, with the help of a team imported from Japan who had worked on that recent Godzilla film, including suit actor Kenpachiro Satsuma, wearing a modified Godzilla suit to play the title monster. (Don’t believe it? Compare pics of the G ‘84/’85 suit and Pulgasari). All this brings us to what may possibly be South Korea’s answer to that particular film…

Boy, was this a hard one to track down! Just Googling the title is a sure fire dead end. Even entering in the English language version of the title, BICHEONGOESU, gets precious little in the results department. It was only through the luck of finding the director’s name that opened up the floodgates, with pictures and info. Downside was, it’s all in Korean. As I am linguistically challenged for most languages besides English, I tried using Babelfish to translate these sites. Downside of *that* is, the translation is literal, so syntax and meaning go right out the window. (I did note that Babelfish translates ‘Bicheongoesu’ into English as ‘Obscure Monstrous Beast’; the irony was not lost on me.) But, since I’m sure you all want me to stop babbling and get to the good stuff, here’s what I was able to piece together- going from Korean to gibberish then hopefully to English:

We start off with a learned scientist of some kind-or-other, Dr. Kim, finding the egg of an unknown dinosaur/bird and taking it for study. As we all know, according to Giant Monster 101, this is always a ton and a half of seriously bad mojo. (You’d think a ‘learned’ scientist would know better.) Of course, where there’s an egg, there’s (an even bigger) mama, who comes looking for her offspring, extremely ticked off.

Somehow, someway, either because of or in addition to this, multiple other giant monsters start attacking from all over the map, coming from land, sea and- hopefully, in the interests of truth in advertising- air. (Ironically, I’ve yet to find pictures of any of the monsters flying. Go figure.) Eventually, scientist realizes his blunder, gives back the egg and all is right with the world. Kind of a by-the-numbers riff of GORGO mixed with a dash of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS for flavor, right? Not exactly….

Y’see, this film is (infamously?) known as another ‘co-production’ with Japan, as were most Korean kaiju inspired projects up until the 90’s. The monster footage was all produced in Japan. This is obvious, as the suitmation beasts in question are all Ultra(man) series monsters! While I’m not as up on the names of Ultra monsters as I would like to be, I do recognize one when I see it. Information from August Ragone and Enshohma helped to confirm many of their identities. So far I’ve I.D.-ed Bemstar from The Return of Ultraman, Belocron/Verkion from Ultraman Ace and Pester from the original Ultraman.

It’s not known if only their costumes were used or the actual footage from their TV appearances was edited in or even if they were renamed. It’s a curious combo of Ultra creatures, especially given if just the footage was used. Pester’s stock footage alone would have been almost 20 years old at that point, besides having to edit it and the others for any appearances of certain red and silver monster troubleshooters.

I have a theory on this. It’s just a guess, mind you, but, I think it was actually made as a South Korean response to PULGASARI. This would explain the close release date, the multiple monsters approach (“They have one monster; we have six!”) and the use of Tsuburaya materials in the production rather than the assistance their chief ‘competition’ Toho, who worked on the Pulgasari effects. Whether or not Tsuburaya was ‘officially’ involved with the film, however, is still a mystery. We could be talking Chaiyo- style territory here…

That could be why the film itself is so hard to come by, despite it’s fame/infamy among Korean genre fans. Face it, if it wasn’t that far under the radar, some ambitious bootlegger would have been all over it by now. In fact, for a showing at a Korean film festival in 2005, it was one of only two movies on the playlist that was shown as a vhs, not a film print. Even the notorious WANGMAGWI was shown at the same fest in 35 mm! Frankly, I think some enterprising company needs to go to Korea and nab the US video rights to these two films and as many of their genre movies they can find. Come on, Media Blasters, I know you have it in you….

Pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...cheongoesu.jpg

http://www.koreafilm.or.kr/screening/image/bi_4_b.jpg

http://www.koreafilm.or.kr/screening/image/bi_1_b.jpg

http://www.koreafilm.or.kr/screening/image/bi_2_b.jpg

http://www.koreafilm.or.kr/screening/image/bi_3_b.jpg

http://www.kuchu-camp.net/zboard/data/GoGo/kofa9.jpg

More Links (Note almost all in Korean):

http://www.koreafilm.or.kr/english/d...p_dataid=03817 (In English)

http://solkhan.egloos.com/

http://www.neofolder.com/html/movie/....asp?mid=20053

http://www.culturenews.net/read.asp?...m=3985&page=18

http://www.kuchu-camp.net/zboard/vie...esc=asc&no=172

Raptor November 19th, 2006 06:22 PM

This looks like an instance where the researchers of Ultraman might be of great assistance, as well as fans in Malaysia. The Chaiyo situation could very well muddy the waters in trying to track these elusive kaiju down. :hmmm:

mattman December 23rd, 2006 05:25 PM

OK Enshohma, here are some more updates.

Remember this?

Quote:

Well according to Steve Archer's book, WILLIS O'BREIN: SPECIAL EFFECTS GENIUS, it says that THE DEITY was a script by Stephen J. Stirling. Archer was to get involved in it.
And as for THE CREATOR, it was a script or treatment by Deirdra Baldwin and Steve Archer incorporating Obie's OSO SI-PAPU project.

In 1976, Jim Danforth was involved in THONGOR AND THE VALLEY OF THE DEMOMS, but that never got off ground. I have some pictures.

In 1962 Mr. Danforth made his first original idea called THE ENCHANTED JOURNEY. It was about an American teenager David Brewster who is caught up in a parallel universe fantasy-adventure based on the Legends of Charlemange and also on the Russian folk-tale of Koschey-the-Deathless. During his quest to help Queen Alira defeat the immortal wizard Xylentes, David files on a Hippogryph, battles Basilisks, duels with a four-armed humanoid ape guard; and outwits Xylentes' spy (a foot-long spider). The reason why it got it's plug pulled was because CAPTAIN SINBAD (1963) was modelled after Koschey-the-Deathless. Rats!

After CLASH OF THE TITANS Jim Danforth had other ideas which he prosed to Charles B. Schneer. One of them was an adaptation of Poul Anderson's novel THREE HEARTS THREE LIONS. The second choice was Edgar Rice Burroughs' PELLUCIDAR. All those projects never lived to see the light of day.

I found some more info on KING KONG IN AFRICA. According to Ray Morton's book, it says Kong is ressurcted in a Frankenstein manner, and ends up being used by evil villains and something about Dwan getting eaten by Kong. Jeff Bridges makes a comeback as Jack Prescot and Charles Grodin as Fred Wilson. Jessica Lange refused to be involved in this project. It was scheduled for a 1978 release but, it never lived to see the light of day.

Well that's it for the meantime. I got more to post. Some are Jim Danforth projects that were unmade.

Cam Eleon January 9th, 2007 11:27 PM

It figures. I get set to start a post on the most wanted/hardest-to-find-info-on giant monster films ever and someone goes and puts up the goods on one of my big entries. Not that I’m complaining, mind you, but more on that later….

12 FAIRIES AKA 12 ANIMALS (CHINA 1989?, 1990?):

Here’s a very odd film that could very well have fit in my whole Chinese entry some months back (assuming I could have found any information links on it then). It’s hard to describe, so here’s what a Rotten Tomatoes message board poster had to say:

“…words cannot do it justice - it's madness after madness!!!!
It's got zombies, flying, people who change into rats whilst flying about, a giant 50 foot green fanged demon villain, loads of full on mad fight scenes with incredible kung fu, special effects galore and so much more - it's just too demented!! It even starts as the weirdest cartoon you've ever seen, before going live action after the opening credits…”

The 50 foot green fanged demon villain that merits our attention goes by the name ‘The God of Evil’, appropriately enough. No pics yet of said Evil one, but the film seems easily available via the dreaded ‘gray market’.

Some links:

(Parental guidance suggested for both of these, thanks to a tiny picture on the video cover featuring male bums- and I don’t mean the homeless kind!)

http://www.rarekungfumovies.com/new/may06/12Fairies.jpg

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=502445&page=3&pp=30
(scroll down)

AJOOBA (INDIA/USSR 1991):

This is an oddity with a very complex background. It is an Indian production that was shot and co-produced in Russia. It’s an Arabian Nights- style adventure combined with a superhero story with a climax straight out of a giant monster movie! A note to the producers: Gentlemen, whatever you’re drinking, may I please have a double?

We start with young Prince Ali- and why is it almost all Arabian type heroes are named Ali or some derivative thereof? Even Disney’s Aladdin used Ali as an alias!- having his father, the Sultan, torn from his throne by the evil Vizer E-Alla (played by the late, great Amrish Puri, best known for repeatedly trying to rip out Harrison Ford’s ticker as Mola Ram in INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM) and his family scattered to the four winds. Ali himself is taken in by a kindly blacksmith and raised as his own. 20 years later, Ali has decided to take a page out of Zorro’s playbook, becoming the masked superhero Ajooba specifically to be a royal pain in the kiester to the evildoers in charge.

It all culminates when the Vizer calls forth the giant stone devil he’s been singing the praises of the whole movie. The demon responds by rocking the Casbah Godzilla-style, demolishing much Arabian real estate. This has to be one of the few (only?) times this has been seen outside of animation in a Persian themed story, so that’s points there. The suit looks crude but nicely designed. It’s certainly better than Ajooba’s hero duds. (Although, even as garish as his suit is, it beats the rubber monstrosities most Hollywood heroes wear these days.)

The art director also fully directed the Indian giant shark movie AATANK, which on his website he states was a co- production with the Japanese ‘Toyo Studios’. I’m praying that wasn’t a misprint and that he didn’t mean to write ‘Toho Studios’. I’ve thought even Toho’s worst effects were better than pictures I’ve seen for the shark FX for that film.

More links:

http://www.cinemastrikesback.com/?p=1250

http://xoomer.alice.it/amasoni2002/s...oba_(1991).htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajooba

http://www.subcontinent.com/misc/trivia/desh.html

In the end, a Sultan from a neighboring land, played by Dara Singh, comes to Ali/Ajooba’s aid in the final battle. This factoid dovetails nicely into my last little bit of info this time. It’s a little number I like to call:

“The Mystery of the ‘Singh’ Kong”-

Dara Singh is a famous Indian Wrestler turned actor (think a Hindi Hulk Hogan). His first film was a 1962 black and white Indian production actually called KING KONG, where he played the title role. Now, a lot of sources claim this to be an ‘unauthorized’ version of the giant ape saga that will ‘never see US shores for fear of copyright lawsuits’, including several very respectable books (King Kong: the History of a Movie Icon by Ray Morton is one example). Well, I’m here to tell you that that’s all completely bogus! Mr. Singh, as physically built for the role as he was, did not play the granddaddy of all monsters! Period. Full stop. End of story. (He did play Hanuman, the monkey god, years later, but I digress.)

The “King Kong” in question was a legendary folk hero, much like the Greek Hercules. It is a title conferred on the strongest man in the kingdom. This is also the same character featured in the ‘sequel’, TARZAN AND KING KONG, again starring Singh- as Tarzan this time!- four years later. Anyhow, the way this particular version got awarded his title is detailed here:

http://www.hindiflix.com/product/detail.aspx?item=1878&searchq=term%3dKing%2bKong%2 6page%3d1

A German message board about Bollywood (Don’t ask; we’re probably all better off not knowing), when translated, compared this film to the ‘Sword and Sandal’ style flicks from Italy:

http://511.forum.onetwomax.de/topic=102676578720

So why does everyone associate this with the Great Ape on just title alone? The name’s been used lots of times; Slim Pickens’ character in DR. STRANGELOVE, for one. (There was also a transvestite villain with that name in the 2006 Thai film DANGEROUS FLOWERS, but that’s a can of worms I’m not even going near…) Late Doctor Who producer John Nathan-Turner was fond of saying, “The memory cheats”, but is there more to this story? Could be…

First, that same German MB posted a shot of the ‘animal’ Kong was sent to deal with:

http://www.gezora.privat.t-online.de/KingKong.jpg

‘Animal’, nothing! Try ‘Mutant Dinosaur’! If he went hand-to-hand with that thing, he certainly picked up the right nickname outta the deal. But, even with the inclusion of said monster, is this still enough to make people mistake this for a true giant ape film? Perhaps, but I don’t think so….

SHIKARI (INDIA 1962):

Title translates as ‘Hunter’ in English. This is the film I was talking about at the very top of my rantings here. Looking at posters of the film, it’s real easy to overlook it as an Indian version of ye old Safari pictures, a genre not seen much anywhere these days. Until, in 2005, when an enterprising company decided to put old Bollywood movie posters on t-shirts and gave us this beauty:

http://bubonicfilms.com/FilmShop/Tshirts/shikari1TB.JPG

Whaddaya know? A big ape. Pity that Hindi hunter down there in the corner. The tagline, “The Bollywood King Kong” just seemed to add fuel to the fire on this one, as message boards buzzed about details on this film. After all, sometimes posters can be a wee bit ‘dishonest’. (For example, one poster, for an Indian caveman film, features a drawing of the Italian YETI, who has nothing to do with said flick.) Plus, there are actually several films with the same title, completely unrelated. This SHIKARI seemed completely lost, until late 2006.

Let me state right now that I love Japanese review blogs! There’s been an explosion of them online. They find some of the weirdest cinema on the planet and post about it- usually with tons of pictures, very helpful to the linguistically challenged of us. This, my friends, comes to us direct from a ‘Susie Arabia’ and seems to be from an Indian TV broadcast of the elusive movie. Yes, Virginia, there is an Indian giant gorilla:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/susie_arabia/archives/50357781.html

It’s said that Indian cinema will rip material wholesale from other countries’ films and that’s sure proven here. It’s a replay of the native village attack from the ’33 KONG. Right down to the old ‘use the human as a footstool’ routine, (which was a sequence edited from the US Kong until roughly that time period). Although sizewise more like Peter Jackson’s miniaturized monkey than the original colossal King, monkeyboy here does a passable imitation of the real deal. As there are no high rises in the jungle, it appears (as far as I can tell from the pictures) this ape takes a header off of a bridge into a lava flow for a grand finale.

Looking at the suit…well…..let’s just say the producers of A*P*E* finally have someone *they* can legitimately give the finger to. However, no one has yet dethroned the Grand Champion of ugly giant gorilla costumes- THE MIGHTY GORGA! And speaking of suits, it seems from the vidcaps this is far more than just a safari adventure. It’s more like some kind of Harryhausen Sinbad homage. A fine example is the ‘guard dog’ monster suit shown near the bottom. Unsure of how big it’s supposed to be, but it could turn out we have another hidden giant beastie. (And as the Japanese writer cryptically – even when translated - mentions the lost Hindi giant sea serpent film GOGOLA at the end of the article, there exists a possibility that that suit may have had something to do with that missing monster. Who knows?)

So, there you have it. Whether by mixing up two separate films from the same year (even if one was b/w and the other color) or simple name recognition laziness, seems that’s how good old urban legends get started by people. Mystery solved. Case closed. Fortunately for us, when it comes to giant monster films, there’s always a lot more mysteries and obscurities where that came from……

[ Update 12/08: We have a recent confirmation that the lizard like monster is indeed supposed to be giant sized and mention is made of it even having offspring shown as well, thanks to a larger picture and a review here:

http://memsaabstory.wordpress.com/20...i-1963-part-2/

Pity that creature didn't get to slip it's chain anytime in this flick. We might have been treated to an Indian take on KING KONG VS. GODZILLA. Oh, the possibilities....]

SuperXAsh January 10th, 2007 04:43 PM

Well I'm not surprised that there's yet another foreign Kong knock-off. They love making those kinds of movies it seems, and apparently all you need to make a Kong rip-off is to get a Gorilla Costume. As evidenced by A*P*E*, Mighty Peking Man, Mighty Gorga, Konga, etc.

Yongary January 27th, 2007 10:36 PM

OK-I’m back after an (over) long hiatus. Here’s some stuff I picked up whilst on it.

TWO MORE JAPANESE KONG MOVIES
If you have been following the thread for a while, you probably already know of EDO NI ARAWARETA KINGU KONGU/KING KONG APPEARS IN EDO, the legendary lost 1938 Japanese King Kong picture. What you probably don’t know is that there were apparently OTHER 1930’s Japanese King Kong rip-offs. I got this off of the Google newsgroup archives:

Quote:

------------------------------ ------------------------------
"DAITOKUSATSU"(published from Yubunsha, edited by Colosus)
says ...

" The influence that 'KingKong' gave to the Japanese
film industry was big, so that in the same year of
it theatrical release, rip-off movie 'Wasei Kingukongu'
(made-in Japan KingKong) appeared from Shochiku, and
5 years later (Showa 13=1938), Zenshou Eiga(sp?) created
'Kingu Kongu Zenkouhen'(KingKong Part1 & 2).

Both films featured apes' raging with monster suits.
The latter was a samurai-movie style"
------------------------------ ------------------------------
That would mean that there are (were?) at least three (four if you count the 2-parter) Japanese King Kong films from the 1930’s floating around. The mind boggles…

THE BEAUTY AND THE DRAGON

Quote:

BEAUTY AND THE DRAGON (Bijo To Kairyu ?) (1955) Toei. director: Kimisaburo Yoshimuro. "high priest forces a dragon into a water pit".
Don’t know much besides the above info, save that it was scored by Akira Ifukube.

MORE! MORE! MORE!
These were all pictures I found whilst poking around le Club des Monstres.
DINOSAUR FROM THE DEEP pics: http://www.clubdesmonstres.com/best/htm/dinoftd.html

STAR WARS Dragon?: http://www.clubdesmonstres.com/best/...agonkrayt.html

WHAT IS THIS??
http://www.clubdesmonstres.com/antre.htm

An Unconvincing Monster from CAPTAIN SINDBAD
http://www.clubdesmonstres.com/captsinbad.html

Not really Kaiju, but what is this from?
http://www.clubdesmonstres.com/minotaure.html

THE SAVAGE
http://www.clubdesmonstres.com/thesavage.html

THE LOST ISLANDS?
I found this while looking for a different film. It is apparently a 70’s Australian children’s serial drama. I’ve never seen it, so I have no idea whether the crabs are big enough to be kaiju sized, but I figure that in order for them to be man-eating they would at least have to be ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS-big.

Quote:

Aside from the fact that there was an episode called ‘Ye Confounded Wheels’, which deserves a round of applause in its own right, the island’s exotic flora and fauna (which included giant man-eating crabs and some seaweed that glowed for some confusing reason or other) deserve a mention.
Oh yeah, I got the info from this site http://tv.cream.org/lookin/imports/

KING KONGS FAUST
Not really a Kaiju film as much as a movie ABOUT a kaiju film. According to the IMDb:
Quote:

Berlin Film Fest 1984. The best place for every cinema fan. Everyone wants to be in on the festival, but that may be really difficult, if one has no accreditation. Also Journalist Matthies gets to know the rules of being in or out when he wants to see a screening and is not welcome. Thus he watches an old German silent flick which he is barely interested in. The next day the newspapers are full of reports about a newly discovered German masterpiece from the silent era. It seems that Matthies had luck. He just saw *the* film everybody is talking about now. Also everybody is speculating about its director, but he remains unknown. When Matthies talks to Ackrewa, an old befriended projectionist, about the film, the latter seems to recall the name of the director. Matthies decides to research the case. An odyssey into film-history begins and if it is successful Matthies will come up with a top story.
Anyhow, I did some research and found this photo ( http://smb.museum/smb/inc/galerie.ph...bb4945bedf20eb ) that would seem to indicate that the film within the film was indeed a giant monster picture. That does look like a giant furry hand, doesn’t it?

GIANT GORILLA IN CITY ON GOOGLE VIDEO
I’m not sure exactly how I found these clips, but they’re part of the stock footage library of some company. I’d love to know what they were stock footage from—It would definitely qualify as some sort of giant monster movie. Whatever it’s from, it looks quite old.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...%3Ashort&hl=en

mattman February 28th, 2007 12:11 AM

Once again, it is from THE GORILLA (1930). A lost film.

mattman March 4th, 2007 03:50 PM

I got more.

In late 1963 after Ray Harryhausen worked on JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS, a man whose name can't spoken, (not Charles Schneer) gave him a screenplay called BREAKOUT OF THE LOCH NESS MONSTER. It was about radio active satellite from space that crashed in the loch and caused the primeval beast to go on a rampage.

Ray didn't like it. He rejected it. It was just another monster-on-the-rampage movie. So it was never made.

I got more to come.

Cam Eleon March 28th, 2007 11:37 PM

^ A little follow up note to Mattman’s GORILLA findings: Bob Burns, monster historian, fellow gorilla suit performer and friend of Charlie Gemora (the man in the suit from the footage) stated in an interview that although the footage in question was shot for THE GORILLA, it was used as material in the film’s trailer, not in the movie itself. It was meant to metaphorically show the ‘grip’ the sinister simian held on the city and was not any indication of the regular sized gorilla in the film. Sadly, this now stock footage seems all that’s left of this lost film.

For more information:

http://www.gorillamen.com/index.php?/archives/7-KONG!-KONG!-KONG!.html (Scroll down to the middle)

And keep tuned to this very forum because I’ll have more massive monkeyshines in the near future, but first, here’s a major obscure rediscovery for you all…..

PULGASARI (KOREA 1962):

Yep, you read that date right. Let me explain.

Most of you will know about Pulgasari, the iron eating monster of North Korea’s 1985 jump into the kaiju movie waters; a lesser known, but still fairly common film. Some also know of it being shot with the help of the Toho Studios effects crew, including Godzilla himself, Ken Satsuma playing the title beast in a modified G suit or how director/producer Shin Sang-ok (and his wife) were kidnapped from South Korea to force him to make movies for North Korea. You may even know how Shin escaped to the US and later, under the name ‘Simon Sheen’ remade PULGASARI as a children’s giant monster film, THE ADVENTURES OF GALGAMETH (a real obscurity). But how many of you know that the 1985 PULGASARI was actually a remake of a 1962 film?

OK, I admit, I didn’t know much about it either, until a few days ago.

I mean, I’d heard mentions in passing off and on for a couple years, but no information seemed really concrete. I’d even found a bare bones Korean film page (see below)- In English!- that didn’t really give much. There always kept existing the possibility that some stupid yoik simply got his dates wrong. No pictures or stills were to be found backing any of this up.

Then, a couple days ago, I found this poster:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ulgasari62.jpg

I found it by taking the Korean letters for PULGASARI and pasting them into a search engine which got me to another Korean film page. The title on the poster matches those letters. Funny thing is, this film is frequently translated to English as ‘BULGASARI’, a title sometimes given to the ’85 version, as well.

The storyline synopsis, taken from the English translated site, is as follows:

“During the later years of Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392), a talented martial artist is murdered. His resentment makes him born again as Bulgasari, a monster that grinds and eats up iron. The monster takes his revenge on the traitors responsible for his death.”

Note that this doesn’t seem to mention anything about said revenge seeker showing up first as a small doll form, as in the ’85 version. This may indicate a more intense, shall we say, version of the tale.

The poster graphics themselves are very interesting, done as many posters of the time were using colorized movie stills. (The film was black and white.) It also gives somewhat of a glimpse of this version of the title monster. It seems to be minus the horns of the remake (hard to tell if he stays that way, given the latter Pulgasari’s constantly changeable appearance) but still a very creepy customer. One might almost be tempted to think, given the picture’s atmospheric look, the period setting and vengeance seeking main monster that it was, at least, a small influence on Daiei’s Daimajin series just a couple years later.

The poster is obviously quite rare as both upper corners can be seen missing in the scan. So far, this is the only still picture to show itself online. This information also adds much to the backstory of the remake’s production, given that it wasn’t necessarily a simple giant monster film being remade, but more than likely a rare and possibly lost film being remade with what was then state-of-the-art effects. Ya gotta wonder if it contained as much symbolism as its’ successor in that case, too. Here’s hoping one day we can all find out…..

More links:

http://www.koreafilm.org/english/db_...p_dataid=00803

http://www.mydvdlist.co.kr/mdlkth/movie/movie.asp?moviecode=13771 (in Korean)

Bruticus March 30th, 2007 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yongary

Judging from the background, it looks like one of the creatures from John Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Cam's Pulgasari find is oddly fascinating, if only because I've been wanting to see that film (I guess we'll have to start calling it the Pulgasari remake) for quite some time.

Tars Tarkas July 6th, 2007 03:00 AM

I'd just like to tell everyone that this thread is a phenominal reasource, good work to everyone who helped make it happen!

Zillamon51 August 6th, 2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

I found pictures from KING **** (1984 a.k.a. LOST ON ADVENTURE ISLAND, SUPER SIMIAN).

[IMG]http://superstrangevideo.com/prodGalImgs/King****10.JPG[/IMG]
A T-Rex.

[IMG]http://superstrangevideo.com/prodGalImgs/King****4.JPG[/IMG]
A Plesiosaur.

[IMG]http://superstrangevideo.com/prodGalImgs/King****11.JPG[/IMG]
A gorilla played by the director.

[IMG]http://superstrangevideo.com/prodGalImgs/King****5.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]http://superstrangevideo.com/prodImages/King****Front.JPG[/IMG]
The title character. He looks like a combination between the Volkswagon Kong and the Son of Kong.

The animation is in the MYSTERIOUS PLANET standards.

Any comments or questions.

There is a clip of Lost On Adventure Island on a tape I have called Hollywood Dinosaurs from Video Treasures (more info here). It shows a stop-motion plesiosaur chasing a couple across a beach. According to the narrator, it was made in Hawaii.

I did a search for the title, and found these: A site that seems to be "official" (by the filmmakers), and a page selling the DVD (with expandable critic reviews at the bottom).

I think Lost On Adventure Island and King D o n g are actually two separate movies. Since the clip is included on the compilation tape, and none of the pages (including the reviews) I linked to mention anything about p o r n, it looks like KD is just a cheap dirty movie that lifted some FX from LOAI.

P.S. This board's curse censor is ridiculous. It filters out d o n g (hardly dirty, it's kiddie talk), and p o r n (NOT a swear word)?! :sarcasm: Who the hell programmed it, an old lady, or some ******* church freak?

Hawanja September 10th, 2007 05:26 PM

Don't know if this counts as the movie hasn't been made yet, but it's a cool link none the less:

Steamwars

It's a long running project by the guy who made The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (which in itself is pretty funny, and also features a cheap looking human sized monster. Pure goodness I tell you.) Anyway check out the gallery, lots of cool paintings of various giant steam powered robots and the like.

Also, I have a copy of King Dong, and I must say it's the absolute worst porn film I've ever seen - not sexy in the slightest. It's borderline unwatchable, it's only saving grace is the stolen monster footage and some really, really, really cheesy one liners.

Hawanja September 12th, 2007 05:55 PM

Here's another yet-to-be-made giant Robot flick:

http://www.morav.net/index.html

It looks like a live action robot movie, inspired by Platabor mobile police and the like. This one however actually looks like it has a chance of being made. There's some pretty impressive trailer footage in the download section.

Found another short film called "Day of the Cabbage," supposedly the "actors" in the film are all made up of vegetables:

http://www.jeffu.tv/cabbage/index.html

mattman September 23rd, 2007 05:28 PM

Let's not forget 2005's CALL OF THE CTHULU.

Cam Eleon October 29th, 2007 04:40 PM

This really is one heavy duty rollercoaster of a thread; no activity for weeks/months then suddenly, boom, lots of posts.

For me, it hasn’t been easy to search out info or post lately since I’ve recently become the father of a bouncing baby boy (and lemme tell you, it also made putting together this baby of a post pretty complicated, too. But really, both are labors of love.) I also know firsthand how hellaciously hard it can be sometimes to come up with stuff to put here as it is.

So, with Enshohma kind of on and offline at random these days as well, I tried to come up with something that would (hopefully) provoke discussion and maybe keep things in motion here. Therefore, *ahem*:

Cam (just call me Robert Stack, or even Ultra Magnus if it floats your boat) Eleon here with a large sized edition of Unsolved Kaiju Mysteries, if you will. This is a listing of pretty much all the major ‘lost’ giant monster productions plus a few others of personal interest that are just as scarce. I realized that there may be fans out there who’d like to help finding these obscurities but either don’t know what to look for or even where to begin. Some of these have been mentioned here before but many haven’t.

Now before you say “Wait a minute, Big C! What in the name of Joe Friday makes you think I can find anything on these when no one else can?” consider the case of one MONSTER WANGMAGWI. As late as five years ago, precious little information was to be had on this elusive film. Today, I know of at least 3 pictures, one newspaper ad AND an actual review online. Never say never, folks. So, without further gabbing and in no particular order:

L’INCONNU DE SHANDIGOR (SWITZERLAND 1967)-
Mostly known by its’ US title, THE UNKNOWN [MAN] OF SHANDIGOR. When a mad scientist battles a secret agent, that’s usually James Bond territory; when said mad doc uses a self created Sea Monster to keep him at bay, that’s where we come in! Featured in many film databases- including Comedy Central’s for some reason!- but usually not much more than bare bones technical info and sometimes a poster.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061815/

FATAL PREDICTION: RETURN OF THE HUGE DESTROYER (JAPAN 1992?)-
Two part movie (miniseries?) where a Giant Stone Warrior battles spaceships. Even though this was released by Toei Video in the early ‘90s, there is almost nothing online at all about it. No IMDB entry (that I can find), no reviews, no pictures, only a couple of passing newsgroup entries. Someone out there must have the scoop on this.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...=off&ie=UTF-8&

DEMON FROM DEVIL’S LAKE (USA 1964)-
A so- far lost film which includes a menagerie of animals on a spaceship combining into one big monster. This is one of those flicks that shows up often on lists but hardly anyone has seen. A remake came a couple years later under another title (NIGHT FRIGHT) minus any giant sized creatures. Whether or not there were any in the original is a question that seems to hinge on anyone finding a copy of the blasted thing.

http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/movieDetails/55677

http://www.mshepley.btinternet.co.uk/de50.htm

BTW, make sure to use the apostrophe before the ‘s’ in DEVIL’S when looking up info. Not only is it grammatically pleasing but nothing seems to come up without it.

GAJ-GAURI (INDIA 1958) & GOGOLA (INDIA 1966)-
Two very weird ducks, er, kaiju with much in common (hence their grouping together here). They’re very unusual in that you can find all sorts of info on these lost Indian flicks online, from production credits to box office totals and even theme song lyrics. Almost anything you want to know. So, what ain’t we got? (First wiseacre who responds by singing “We ain’t got dames!” gets clobbered.)

Pictures. Absolutely no visual record exists for either film. No stills, no posters, nada. Behind the infamous WANGMAGWI, these two beasts are the most sought after for visuals. And since not only has WANGMAGWI been found but reviewed, well…

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Go...f&start=0&sa=N

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...22&btnG=Search

UTAHIME MAKAI O YUKU (JAPAN 1980)-
Better known as DIVA IN THE NETHERWORLD. This follows the adventures of two opera singers, who are descendants of vampires and wolfmen as they trek through a dream-like realm and battle cannibals and giant prehistoric monsters. Mentioned some pages back, this was compared to a whacked out version of THE NEVERENDING STORY.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0229821/

RED GIRL (COUNTRY UNKNOWN, 19??)-
Now this is truly bizarre. It showed up out of the blue some months back on Ebay in the form of some Chinese lobby cards. But the film certainly made an impression with this pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...obbyCards1.jpg

The only other information comes from two other lobby cards, showing this to be some kind of Asian period drama and love story (emphasis on the love story, if you get my drift, hence the reason I only posted the monster pics.) We’re looking for size verification of the beastie- though dragon types like that rarely are that petite- and really any other information available on this. Country of original release, year, etc.

DOREIJUU (JAPAN 2000)-
Japanese woman is kidnapped by evil scientists and ends up as a 30 foot spider monster. Not even an IMDB listing for this. Just one tech spec on a Japanese film site. Brings new meaning to ‘hard to find’.

http://www.fjmovie.com/horror/t8/35.html

HIPIJOK SAL YUK (SOUTH KOREA 1973)-
Also known by the titles CHEJU ISLAND TERROR and, more frequently, “HIPPY CARNAGE”. A maid with magical abilities and a couple of ‘Jet Jaguar’ style robots battle a trio of toxic bird beasts. No word on sizes of the robots or the toxic terrors. Another flick often name-dropped but rarely seen. Reports of clips showing up a couple years back on USA Network’s REEL WILD CINEMA seemed to prove false.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217542/

WAR GOD/GOD OF WAR (CHINA 1976)-
Found this a couple Christmases ago. Giant buggy Alien Invaders (probably hoping to avoid Ultraman) skip Japan and decide to ransack Hong Kong instead. Little do they know that the Chinese God of War, Guan Yu is ready for them and eager to take them out old school-style with his trusty enourmous blade. Daimajin, eat your heart out!

A Bablefished interview with the film’s director indicated (from what I could translate) that this was made in the early 70’s as a response to US disaster flicks of the time and was supposed to show a “homegrown disaster”. (If that’s what he considers a homegrown disaster, I’d love to shake this man’s hand!) There’s lots of still pictures to be found, but no copy of the movie as yet. What little else I found out before can be found in page 6 of this very thread.

http://photo.pchome.com.tw/jeff_001/07/

http://www.crazyshow.idv.tw/wordpres...005/10/27/144/
(In Chinese)

http://hk.cnmdb.com/title/50238/
(In Chinese)

DEVIL (/MONSTER) FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (CHINA 1976?)-
Way warped Chinese fantasy feature somehow related to another way warped Chinese fantasy film THE FAIRY AND THE DEVIL. Unfortunately, until a print shows up, it’s unlikely we’ll know in what way. Prequel? Sequel? Re-edited version of the same film? Two halves of a longer movie? (This last one is my theory, given FAIRY’s abrupt opening and given release date of 1978.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...omofthesea.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...mofthesea2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...mofthesea3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...mofthesea4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...mofthesea5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...fromthesea.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...romthesea2.jpg

You may also want to be on the lookout for two other Chinese films that I had mentioned here before, DEVIL FIGHTER (1969) and PHOENIX aka WAR OF THE WIZARDS (1983). Both are mercilessly hard to find but at least PHOENIX has shown itself as there are some (non-giant monster) vidcaps from it online. The former features a giant demon in a cheaper-than-‘60s TV kaiju suit while the latter includes not only the title cross between Rodan and a peacock battling a suitmation rock giant, but also ‘Jaws’ himself, Richard Kiel, as another nasty villain. Further info on all three of these is back on page 7 of this thread.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ilfighter1.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079715/

http://www.golobthehumanoid.com/warofwizards.html

COSTINHA EO KING MONG (BRAZIL 1977)-
These days, any search online for the name ‘Costinha’ is likely to bring up information on the famous soccer player, but time was that was also the handle of a very popular Brazilian comedian. Born Lirio Mario da Costa, this Costinha had a nearly fifty year career, spanning just about that same number of movies and TV series performances.

One of his last films was yet another in the line of flicks inspired by the ’76 KONG remake (this one premiering in 1977, the year Brazil got to see Dino’s infamous retread). The only difference here is that unlike most, it’s a deliberate parody. Reports have stated in passing about it’s having an actor in a suit for the Giant Gorilla Mong but no confirmation of Costinha growing giant for the ‘battle’ of the title. (Title translates as ‘Costinha Versus/Against King Mong’) But, as a wise man once told me, “There’s nothing too stupid for a farce”, so, hopefully we can eventually find out.

Technical information is pretty easily found, but no pictures or posters, simply a few fond remembrances online. A recent attempt to get a copy of this film via a co-worker with family ties in ‘the old country’ yielded zilch. However said relatives at least did know what I was talking about, always a very encouraging sign….

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308133/

TUKO SA MADRE KAKAW (PHILIPPINES 1958?, 1959?)-
Also spelled as TUKO SA MADRE CACAO. Considered the first of the popular ‘atomic mutation gone amok’ genre to show up in that country, this was shown regularly on Filipino TV up until at least the ‘80s. Not much more besides happy memories of this film online from people who grew up watching it.

PULGASARI (NORTH KOREA 1962)-
A rare lost film overshadowed by all the drama surrounding production of its’ 1985 remake, to the point of few people even knowing the remake actually was a remake! All the info and links on this one are just a few entries up on Page 8 in this thread.

As an update, the jury’s still out on if the monster in this is human sized or if he gets as big as his successor. (My question is then, why is everyone shown looking skyward on the poster? Not to mention showing a line of archers aiming upwards.) I’d still lay odds that he’s a kaijin who ends up a kaiju…

ALTAN PRENS DEVLER ULKESINDE (TURKEY 1971)-
An educated guess here about any inclusion of giant monster content, but since the title translates as GOLDEN PRINCE IN THE LAND OF GIANTS, a really hopeful one. Given the Turkish penchant for aping other countries’ film styles, I’m shocked more giant monsters haven’t shown up from that area of the world. Maybe in some of those semi-‘historical’ sagas… Anyway, once again, no posters or visual info for this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0185858/

SUPERGIRL (PHILIPPINES 1973)-
Although she seemingly wears the symbol of DC Comics Maid of Might, Kara Zor-El she ain’t. (She’s Filipino for a start.) This wannabe’s powers are supposedly magic based. Played by- and I kid you not- Pinky Montilla (pray that’s a stage name), this Girl of Steel beat Helen Slater to movie theatres by a good decade and change.

Now, you ask why I’m going on about a superheroine on a daikaiju forum? Simple. Other countries’ films often throw many totally different elements together to make amazing mishmashes in an attempt to get audiences. This one is no exception. The Filipino (or Pinoy as they call themselves) Supergirl fights a female(!) mad scientist, zombies and….a Giant Frog! Sizewise he seems to fit, as many viewers who watched this film during its’ constant reruns on Philippine TV in the 80’s easily remember the king-sized Kermit stomping on one of the supporting cast.

http://xoomer.alice.it/amasoni2002/s...irl_(1973).htm

http://imdb.com/title/tt0949547/

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_mov...l-philippines/

A less-than bare bones IMDB listing and not any pictures at all for this, just lots of mentions on Filipino message boards about films. Oddly for such a one-time TV staple, it is now considered lost. One funny thing, though. This movie did inspire most of the elements for a recent stage musical and the later film adaptation of a Pinoy comic book about a ‘transgendered’ hero called ZSA ZSA SATURNNAH. (Think RANMA, only, um, ‘happier’.) Elements reused in both projects include the mad medico, zombies and yep, battle with a Giant Frog.

http://xoomer.alice.it/amasoni2002/s...nah_(2006).htm

RIDDLE OF THE NIGHT (CAMBODIA 2004?)-
The first big shock is that Cambodia even has anything resembling a film industry! The second is that one of the first films from there to even register on the radar would be a fantasy epic. And just to really get our attention, they put a Giant in for icing on the cake.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ghttitan04.jpg

Almost nothing about this online (no IMDB) except one Japanese language review with pictures and a passing mention on a message board. The film’s title isn’t kidding.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/susie_arabia.../50216663.html

KAMBAL SA SINUKUAN (PHILIPPINES 1959?, 1960?)
Found this old poster and the one immediately below this entry while looking for stuff on the Filipino Supergirl. Little information except that it was based on a comic strip serialized in 1951. Regardless, the still shot shows, with no doubt, to quote the film and the band, “They Might Be Giants”.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...aSinukan51.jpg

TOKYO 1960 (PHILIPPINES 1956?, 1957?)-
Think the US was the only country to splice new footage into the original 1954 GODZILLA and market it? Think again:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...okyo196056.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0764900/

You’ll note from the poster that almost no mention of the original production is given, unless you count that it was ‘Filmed in Tokyo Japan’. Gee, ya think? ‘Executive producer’ Cirio Santiago was also later responsible for both versions of the Philippine giant flying creature film ANAK NG BALKAN (with the remake version known in the US as VULCAN and a new TV movie remake rumored to be in production for Filipino TV).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...kNgBulkan2.jpg

WASEI KINGU KONGU (JAPAN 1933) &
EDO NI ARAWARETA KINGU KONGU PARTS 1 & 2
(AKA KINGU KONGU ZENKOUHEN or KINGU KONGU NIPPONHEN; JAPAN 1938)-
Information on these three lost missing links in the kaiju chain is available at this thread:

http://www.kaijuphile.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15380

For something slightly less hair loss inducing, there are also these titles (which are available via ebay and other ‘outside’ channels) which have no reviews and/or English information online whatsoever (aside from the humble scraps in this list, of course). You can find them easily by their titles in an online search:

ROCO ANG BATANG BATO (PHILLIPINES 1983) [AKA THE BOY GOD & STONE BOY]

GINSENG KING (THAILAND 1989) (Also released on Japanese video as THREE HEAD MONSTER)

THE NOBLE WAR (THAILAND 1984)

WINTERBEAST (USA 1991?, 1992?)

MERCIFUL BUDDAH (sp?) (CHINA 198?)

A VALIANT VILLAIN (CHINA 1969)

YOUNG FLYING HERO (CHINA 1970)

And finally,
UNKNOWN THAI PROJECT (THAILAND circa 2004)-
Look in the backgrounds of these pics and you see something interesting. They were taken at a 2004 science fiction convention in Thailand. Assumed to be a display of characters from upcoming (at the time) live action projects, I found this, I believe at Thai-toku.com. (Maybe I should just email them; anyone know if anyone there speaks English?)

The superhero characters in the first shot are from the film NIGHT FALCON, but it’s what’s behind them that’s really super. A rock face diorama with a bound sacrificial victim being about to become chow for a Giant Serpent. From what I know about NIGHT FALCON, the badguys were a whole lot more humanoid. So what’s it from?

It may be connected to the second picture, being on display behind the characters shown. We have period Thai warriors in various armors surrounding another diorama. This time, it’s a menacing Sea Serpent crashing up from the depths.

Now, I’ve searched through tons of Thai movies from around that time period (and I know NIGHT FALCON is easily available) but no pictures or materials seemed to match any of the characters shown.

So what do we have here? One project? Two? Those figures look quite realistic, so I’d rule out anime or comics. A TV show? An uncompleted project? Something from a different year? Inquiring minds want to know…..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...aianime043.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...aianime044.jpg

There you have it, as many facts and starting points as I can give you. Spread the word. Talk amongst yourselves. If you feel crazed enough, join the search. Look around online in film forums and databases or even in the mundane ol’ real world in libraries, old film magazines or anyplace else you can think of. (Kudos to those with access to film archives.) Don’t worry, I’m still right in the hunt with you, too. And remember, the first one of us to find anything, post it right here….

mattman October 31st, 2007 05:33 PM

There was a giant ape called King D o n g in the film AMERICAN TICKLER (1976) starring Joe Piscopo. This film is also known as WINNER OF 10 ACADEMY AWARDS. This film is a movie with lots of skits (both live and animated) kind of like an American Monty Python. Even the animation mimics Terry Gilliam's.

Kevzilla November 2nd, 2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

HIPIJOK SAL YUK (SOUTH KOREA 1973)-
Also known by the titles CHEJU ISLAND TERROR and, more frequently, “HIPPY CARNAGE”. A maid with magical abilities and a couple of ‘Jet Jaguar’ style robots battle a trio of toxic bird beasts. No word on sizes of the robots or the toxic terrors. Another flick often name-dropped but rarely seen. Reports of clips showing up a couple years back on USA Network’s REEL WILD CINEMA seemed to prove false.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217542/

I think you can get that from Super Strange Video? Not sure

mattman November 13th, 2007 07:43 PM

Oh baby, here's more:

SAURIANS (1994)

Accidentally blasted from eons of hibernation by a construction company, these titans of terror unleash destruction and chaos unparralled in the pages of history. A group of college students at a nearby fossil dig are caught up in the earth shattering discovery! For them, it is a race against time and the forces of nature as they join in the plight to warn the residents of nearby Fossil Valley and save a peaceful Stegosaurus from death at the teeth of the flesh-eating Tyrannosaurus Rex. Added danger comes in the form of a bounty-hunter bent on capturing the beasts for his own evil schemes. The earth will tremble under the 80 tons of prehistoric savage fury as the monsters go claw to claw in the battle of the century. Can they be stopped, or will mankind be the next species up for extinction?

http://users.aol.com/scvp/3001.html

The animation looks like those of a kid's Super-8 home movie.

CRY OF THE WINGED SERPENT (2006)

A young man is given an amulet that can call upon the power of the mythical Winged Serpent which he uses to get revenge on those who have oppressed his people.

http://www.afmfilms.org/catalog/FilmDetail.php?id=2765

Q, Flying Serpent form that 1946 movie, meet you competition.

What do you think about that?

mattman November 29th, 2007 04:31 PM

We never get tired of this, huh?

I found more obscure kaiju.
This one is from Taiwan called LITTLE HERO (1978) starring Polly Shang Kwan.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0198658/

In this film, she fights giant octopi!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2LhMK7Fa5IQ&feature=related

So you thought the octopus from WARLORDS OF ATLANTIS or the live-action adaptation of POPEYE was bad, guess again.

Hybrid Gojira November 30th, 2007 11:32 AM

Wow, that last one you posted is just horrible....

Well...the clip is anyway.

Raptor December 1st, 2007 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattman (Post 277934)
We never get tired of this, huh?

Nope. :laugh: And now, after a LONG hiatus from TV, THE GREEN SLIME! Enjoy!

mattman January 1st, 2008 04:48 PM

I'm baaaack.

With more.

Before I start, I would take back that Donald F. Gluts dinosaur films count as obscure kaiju.

Also here is some pictures of Ray Harryhausen's home movies. You cannot find these clips on the DVD, RAY HARRYHAUSEN: THE EARLY YEARS. But the person who owns these clips goes by the name of David Massaro. He is the number one Ray Harryhausen fan.

Here are pictures of a Cave Bear and a dinosaur eating up a man.

http://thethunderchild.com/Movies/We...o/cavebear.jpg

http://thethunderchild.com/Movies/We...llosaurus1.jpg

http://thethunderchild.com/Movies/We...llosaurus2.jpg

http://thethunderchild.com/Movies/We...llosaurus3.jpg

You can only find these on the MOVIE MAGIC episode, "One Step at a Time."

Here are ones you cannot find.

http://thethunderchild.com/Movies/We...gathaumas1.jpg
The agathaumas

http://thethunderchild.com/Movies/We...riceratops.jpg
A triceratops eating a man.

Lo and behold, THE JUPITERIAN! The Beast from Jupiter. When you see him, doesn't he remind you of something?

http://thethunderchild.com/Movies/We...upiterian1.jpg

http://thethunderchild.com/Movies/We...upiterian2.jpg
The Jupiter Beast attacks a spaceship.

http://thethunderchild.com/Movies/We...upiterian3.jpg
The Jupiter Beast attacks a Pterodactyl like Ray's inspirational movie icon.

http://thethunderchild.com/Movies/We...upiterian4.jpg
You might of seen this in color in THE EARLY YEARS DVD where he fights a mammoth. Here, the Beast from Jupiter spots a young Ray Harryhausen. Run Ray! Run!

http://thethunderchild.com/Movies/We...agathaumas.jpg
The Monster fights an Agathaumas.

http://thethunderchild.com/Movies/We...rianbronto.jpg
Finally the Jupiter-Beast fights a Brontosaurus Kong-style.

Now those are obscure giant monster pictures!

As for Madison Carter, I found more pics for you Jupiterian segment of the website.

Mecha74 January 1st, 2008 08:19 PM

Great stuff mattman.:cool:

And to anyone that is curious you can also see color footage of the Jupiterian fighting the mammoth on the DVD 'The Ray Harryhausen Chronicles'.

Don't know if this has already been posted or not, didn't find anything when I performed a search but here is some test footage shot in the late 50s by a man named Pete Peterson who was Willis O' Brien's second assitant after Ray Harryhausen. It is a creature simply called the Las Vegas monster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkEwKcSLlz8

Kinda reminds me of Ymir from '20 Million Miles To Earth.'

You can also see this footage on the bonus features for the DVD of the 1957 film 'The Black Scorpion.'

mattman January 4th, 2008 04:11 PM

I got more

DRAGONBALL: THE MAGIC BEGINS (1989)

A Hong Kong/Phillipino production based on the comic book/cartoon series. The only monster in this film is just the giant dragon. As for the film in general, the names to all the characters are changed (e.g. Goku is called Monkey Boy and Master Roshi is called Turtle man.) It wasn't dubbed in English until 1992.

Back on topic.

THE MAGIC CRANE (1993).

It's a fantasy film from Hong Kong or China. Giant monsters include a giant crane and a Gamera-like tortoise. I found the movie on Youtube except it is split into chapters.

Do you want to see it?

I also got other Jim Danforth and Ray Harryhausen films on Youtube.

SuperXAsh March 19th, 2008 09:30 PM

Anyone know anything about this one? O.o;;

-Gazorra: Beast from the Depths of the Earth- (1984)
http://www.animalattack.info/PmWiki/...usDenErdinnern

Apparently a giant monster movie from Germany.

From the looks of it, it MAY be a parody.

Enshohma March 21st, 2008 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperXAsh (Post 285873)
Anyone know anything about this one? O.o;;

-Gazorra: Beast from the Depths of the Earth- (1984)
http://www.animalattack.info/PmWiki/...usDenErdinnern

Apparently a giant monster movie from Germany.

From the looks of it, it MAY be a parody.

To the best of my knowledge, it’s a short film and of course, parody of monster movies from Germany. It was available as an extra on a DVD release of the same director’s more recent, far more horror-based film…whose name escapes me…yeah I suck. More information if I can find it.

Meanwhile...

CALTIKI THE IMMORTAL MONSTER SCREENING AT THE EGYPTIAN; MAY 23rd

Hollywood’s Egyptian Theater will be playing the obscure giant slime monster film “Caltiki the Immortal Monster” this Sunday, the 23rd, apart of a larger triple feature of Mario Bava films. For more information, check these links out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caltiki

http://www.unfilmable.com/Caltiki_review.html

http://egyptiantheatre.com/archive19...Mario_Bava.htm

Yeah, I know it's last minute, but I had to mention it.

Cam Eleon March 22nd, 2008 06:49 PM

^ I got your back on the Gazorra film, Raf. It was called HORROR HEAVEN and was a collection of shorts with all kinds of horror/sci-fi subjects including Frankenstein's Monster, Mummies and a superhero named 'Captain Berlin'. It was actually mentioned waaaay back in the original incarnation of this thread. The director, Jorg Buttgereit, recently penned a book about Japanese giant monsters.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0269337/

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Island...6225244&sr=1-4

Unfortunately, aside from his love of giant monsters (that's him in the Gazorra pics cameoing as a military officer), he's one very freaky filmmaker and I can't recommend most of his 'other' work on subject matter principles alone, despite the intended humor. For example, I believe HORROR HEAVEN can be found as an extra on the dvd of his flick, NEKROMANTIK and if you know any Latin, you can probably guess the subject matter. Yeesh.

One thing I can recommend, however, is a trip to MJ Simpson's review site. He has reviews of several obscurities that are right up our alley and has recently added some major input from a reader on a film mentioned here before, TAH TIEN.

http://www.mjsimpson.co.uk/reviews/tahtien.html

Hmmm, whomever this fan is, he sure knows a lot about obscurities...;)